Pride and Prejudice

22 Jul

Jane Austen is one of the most notable writers of the 19th Century.  She has given us many great novels such as Sense & Sensibility, Mansfield Park, Emma, Persuasion, and above all, Pride and Prejudice.  It is this last novel that has been a true classic and Hollywood dream.  Since 1938 there have been at least 14 (if not more) adaptations whether it be a film, TV mini series, or television presentation.[1]  What is Hollywood’s obsession with adapting this story so many times over?  What is it about the story that keeps readers coming back for more?

For those who have never read the book, “Austen’s most celebrated novel tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet, a bright, lively young woman with four sisters, and a mother determined to marry them to wealthy men. At a party near the Bennets’ home in the English countryside, Elizabeth meets the wealthy, proud Fitzwilliam Darcy. Elizabeth initially finds Darcy haughty and intolerable, but circumstances continue to unite the pair. Mr. Darcy finds himself captivated by Elizabeth’s wit and candor, while her reservations about his character slowly vanish. The story is as much a social critique as it is a love story, and the prose crackles with Austen’s wry wit.”[2]

In January 2013, USA Today gave us 10 reasons why P&P is so popular: it’s the ultimate “happily ever after”, it’s fun, it’s a rom com, it has sex/lies/runaway teens, marriage for love and money, miserable weird families, rich people who don’t appear to work—they just eat, drink, and act merry, first impressions are often wrong, and there is lots of hypocrisy.[3] Social standing, relationships, and impressions are still referred to in our society.  Then you have the characteristics pride (hubristic) and prejudice that again, exist as much today as it did in 1813. Of course, there’s Mr. Darcy too.

Heeellooooooo Mr. Darcy!

The most well-known movie versions are Bridget Jones’s Diary, P&P with Keira Knightly (2005), and P&P with Colin Firth (1995).  The latest adaptation of Austen’s classic is the film Austenland.  In this film, lovers of the book get to go to a place where they get to “live the life” of their favorite book and characters.  This is a completely different spin on P&P and from the looks of the cast and writing, it could be a very successful film.  In the end, I’m sure we have not seen the last of Miss Bennet or Mr. Darcy.

39 Responses to “Pride and Prejudice”

1. Open Book July 22, 2013 at 9:36 PM #

Hi LB!

Fun article and well written. Austenland got a 40% on rottentomatoes but moviegoers gave it a 87%. for most anticipated film. Many have complained about its limited release. Do u think it will get a wider release?

• littlebells July 23, 2013 at 7:39 PM #

Hi OB! Thank you! I saw the trailer and thought it looked great because I think the cast is very talented and it’s a different way of approaching this story. I think it could get a wider release but it’s definitely going to be by word of mouth. I won’t be surprised if it doesn’t though. I plan on seeing it. 🙂

• ozzie20 July 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM #

I’d need to see more to go see it at the cinema but I’ll probably end up buying it as soon as it release on DVD. Unfortunately that will be either December or January as it’s released in cinemas on the 27th of September here. 😦

2. parisienne July 22, 2013 at 11:33 PM #

Testing…..testing

• parisienne July 23, 2013 at 2:22 AM #

Hi

• parisienne July 23, 2013 at 2:23 AM #

LB,

Sorry for word bombing your post!

• littlebells July 23, 2013 at 7:40 PM #

haha! No problem! 🙂

• Open Book July 23, 2013 at 10:08 AM #

Wonderful! U got it working.

3. ComicRelief July 23, 2013 at 2:18 AM #

LB,

Thanks for the news about Jane Austen’s continued popularity as an author. Do you think this trend of making spin-offs based on the author’s popularity is a good idea? I believe we have seen this effort before with positive results. Also how long do you think this trend will last?

• littlebells July 23, 2013 at 7:45 PM #

Hi CR!

I think as long as we have strong sexual tension between characters that are snarky, witty, and intelligent, the trend will always last. We WANT to see our two protagonists drop their pride and lay all their cards on the table. At least I do! haha! 🙂

4. Open Book July 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM #

This is dedicated to LB. Nice to have u back!

• littlebells July 23, 2013 at 7:46 PM #

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I love your sense of humor OB! I’m head bobbing right now.

• Open Book July 24, 2013 at 1:08 PM #

U mean u like my cheesy humor. LOL! I love this song.

5. ComicRelief July 23, 2013 at 3:17 PM #

LB,

How do you feel about the Rotten tomatoes.com reception for the film?

Mind you, women have no obligation to like this film; yet I wonder how women will transcend their current place in Hollywood if other women do not at least patronize one another’s work.

Toward that end, I appreciate and I am very impressed with the fact that you championed this film.

• littlebells July 23, 2013 at 8:01 PM #

What I think is great about this film is that there are women like this out there and if you can’t laugh at yourself, then you have a serious problem. If I found out there was a “Twilightland” where women and men could dress up as their favorite character and “live” like them for a week or two, I would laugh my tush off.

• Open Book July 24, 2013 at 1:17 PM #

The most important thing. What kind of rides would this Twilight Land have? I have one. Women could get on Edwards back while he climbed up a tree. The ride could be called Spider Monkey. Hahaha! I’m sure this ride would be the most popular. So what other rides would u suggest?

• ozzie20 July 24, 2013 at 7:48 PM #

Ride on the back of a warewolf? Seriously, there isn’t alot of things you could do. You can only work with what material there is. *shrug*

• Open Book July 25, 2013 at 10:35 AM #

“Seriously, there isn’t alot of things you could do. You can only work with what material there is.”

U are right Oz. The truth is (if we were to honor the source material) this TwilightLand theme park would only appeal to stalkers and women into abusing themselves. I will leave it at that.

6. parisienne July 23, 2013 at 7:16 PM #

LB,

Stephenie Meyer is the producer of Austenland. Do you think her presence assists the film? Given her demeanor at the last comiccon panel for BD2 ( she was rude to the audience and acted ungrateful) do u feel that she has staying power in HW?

• littlebells July 23, 2013 at 8:07 PM #

I won’t know until I see the film. I didn’t watch CC after the one where Stew looked like she was on crack. Interesting about Meyer. And to answer your question, no I don’t. Unless she completely revamps her image as to her seriousness as a producer and writer, no, definitely not. She needs to remove herself so much from Twilight and The Host. I think she needs to let several years go by before being in the limelight again. And maybe some different and better writing material under her belt.

• ozzie20 July 23, 2013 at 8:21 PM #

I agree with LB!

• Open Book July 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM #

Yes! Yes! ITA

7. ozzie20 July 23, 2013 at 7:30 PM #

Hi everyone!

Just catching up…

• Parisienne July 23, 2013 at 7:42 PM #

Ozzie! Hello my friend, I’ve missed you!

• ozzie20 July 23, 2013 at 7:44 PM #

Hi Paris! Missed you too. I must get my butt on to yahoo more! 🙂

• ozzie20 July 23, 2013 at 7:43 PM #

Ok, caught up! I love the article, LB! I would watch Austinland just for Jennifer Coolidge. I adore her!

• littlebells July 23, 2013 at 8:10 PM #

Jennifer is amazing! The first time I saw her was “Best in Show”.

Have you read P&P? What is your opinion of the story and which film version do you like the most?

• ozzie20 July 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM #

I have only read bits and pieces of P & P but I’ve seen so many adaptations that they’re nearly all rolled into one, lol! Coincidently, I was watching the TV one again just last week (the Colin Firth one) and I had to turn it off. When I watched it a few years ago I was fine but this time it just got on my nerves for some reason. That one was my favourite version too! Maybe it was because I was in such a restless mood at the time and couldn’t fully get into it. I guess I could just watch youtube clips of Mr Darcy in the lake until I feel up to watching it again, lol!

Personally I’m more of a Sense and Sensibility fan.

Oh Alan Rickman… *dreamy sigh*

8. parisienne July 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM #

I’m going to go for the evening. Awesome article LB!

9. littlebells July 23, 2013 at 8:28 PM #

Would you ever go to some “—-land” if your favorite book had one? (Like Lazarevoland?)

• ozzie20 July 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM #

Maybe Harry Potter but as magic isn’t real it would be a no, lol! I want to be able to do spells, potions and all the other cool magic stuff! So I’ll have to stick with the theme park. That only takes a day (or two if you don’t want to rush) to see everything. 😦

• Open Book July 24, 2013 at 1:21 PM #

Now, u are talking. How cool, u could dress up and do spells and magic tricks. I would love this Oz! What kind of rides would u have?

• ozzie20 July 24, 2013 at 7:38 PM #

Pfft, rides? There are no rides in real life Harry Potter world. Unless you mean taking joy rides on dragons, hippogriffs, brooms and flying cars! 🙂

Totally OT, what would be the wizarding world’s version of theme parks? If I ever run into J K Rowling I must ask her, lol!

• Open Book July 25, 2013 at 10:55 AM #

“Pfft, rides? There are no rides in real life Harry Potter world.”

Hahahaha! Love your response. What was I thinking? U know me. I can’t talk about theme parks without thinking of rollercoaster’s. LOL!

Anyway, back to the important stuff. Yes! Yes! Yes! I can totally imagine dragons, brooms and flying cars. This would be so AWESOME!!! Ok I’m done thanks for indulging me.

• Parisienne July 23, 2013 at 9:47 PM #

I’m there every night with my “shura” 😉

• Open Book July 24, 2013 at 1:26 PM #

Ahh! How sweet.

How about a Summer Garden theme park? Where u tour around all the places Shura and Tatia visited in their trailer. It could be educational. That would be fun.

• Open Book July 23, 2013 at 11:56 PM #

Great Q. LB I will have to think and get back to u. I have a few. Hahaha

• Open Book July 24, 2013 at 2:00 PM #

Hmm! I like Lazarevoland. What kind of rides would it have? It could be a water park theme park and u would have to pitch a tent and make your own fire. lol!

Now to anzwer your fun Q. LB I have really thought about this. Hahaha! Here are my book inspired theme parks.

1.The Giving Tree theme park. Something for both kids and adults. I love this book.
      2. Where the Wild Things Are theme park. It could be an all puppet theme park.
      3. The Lorax theme park. Now this could be very educational.

10. Open Book July 23, 2013 at 11:13 PM #

Hi Everyone!

I know I’m late. Let me try and comment a little.