Cosmopolis: What’s Your Favorite Quote?

13 Aug

What’s your favorite quote? The film Cosmopolis opens in US theaters this Friday August 17th, 2012.  If you’ve read the book then you know Don DeLillo has written some of the most memorable passages for not only character Eric Packer but his other characters as well.  For fun, Linked In Hollywood has selected 10 quotes and we want you to vote for your favorite.  So let’s get started!

Now, to make things even more interesting. Can you name which character said what quote and which character it was being spoken too? Here’s the list of characters below. Good Luck!

Eric Packer, Didi Fancher, Elise Shifrin, Andre Petrescu, Shiner, Torval, Brother Fez,Jane Melman, Vija Kinsky, Benno Levin, Michael Chin, Kosmo Thomas, Ibrahim Hamadou, Videographer and Nina Brooks.

Also see: Cosmopolis: The Styles of Postmodern Literature

Please join us for an open discussion  8/13/2012-8/15/2012.

49 Responses to “Cosmopolis: What’s Your Favorite Quote?”

1. parisienne August 13, 2012 at 2:04 PM #

You forgot my favorite quote! It deals with a bottle and sunglasses. 😉

• littlebells August 13, 2012 at 2:17 PM #

hahahahahaha!!!! I think that one trumps ALL quotes.

I chose the scandal and dying one but I can’t remember who said it. Possibly Eric or Benno.

• Open Book August 13, 2012 at 2:48 PM #

LB-

The Dying quote-Eric is speaking to Elise.

• Open Book August 13, 2012 at 2:45 PM #

Paris,
      Hmm! I did not forget! But I double dog dare u? hahaha! JK!

• parisienne August 15, 2012 at 2:12 AM #

I never back down on a dare so here it is “I want to bottle fuck you with my sunglasses on.”

• Open Book August 15, 2012 at 12:36 PM #

hahahahaha! When will I learn my lesson not to challenge u?

2. Open Book August 14, 2012 at 6:57 PM #

Hi everyone,

Welcome to our open discussion tonight. What that means is we will be commenting periodically throughout the course of the evening. So feel free to comment, vote or ask questions.

3. Open Book August 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM #

There are a number of quotes I did not select but are quite memorable. What are some of your favorites not on our list.

• Comic Relief August 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM #

I found one quote that sounded like it came out of myfavorite character. Obviously it was inthe list. I have to be honest I thought Vija Kinsky was“a hoot”. I giggled every time she spoke;thank banana’s Samantha Morton was cast. She almost speaks intruisms. It made me wonder why DeLillo prepared am almost seamless cage of art world references for Eric.

If I’m being mysterious Jenny Holzer is akind of text artist who throughout her career produced truisms like afactory. If you are unfamiliar with herwork please see below.

4. Open Book August 14, 2012 at 7:09 PM #

According to Good Reads can you guess what quote are readers favorite?

1. “Even when you self-destruct, you want to fail more, lose more, die more than others, stink more than others.”
    ― Don DeLillo, Cosmopolis

2. “Everything is barely weeks. Everything is days. We have minutes to live.”
    ― Don DeLillo, Cosmopolis

3. “There are dead stars that still shine because their light is trapped in time. Where do I stand in this light, which does not strictly exist? (155)”
    ― Don DeLillo, Cosmopolis

4. “I want to bottle-fuck you slowly with my sunglasses on.”
    ― Don DeLillo, Cosmopolis

5. “it’s not the sex you think i’ve had. it’s the sex i want. that’s what you smell on me. because the more i look at you, the more i know about us both.and the more i want to have sex with you. because there’s a certain kind of sex that has an element of cleansing. it’s the antidote to disillusion. the counterpoison.”_Eric Packer”
    ― Don DeLillo, Cosmopolis

• littlebells August 14, 2012 at 7:15 PM #

I love that last one and *spoiler alert* that final scene with him and Elise isn’t in the film which I think is a travesty. That is a great scene that finally gives Eric a taste of what he has been wanting.

• Open Book August 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM #

Oh! That is sad that scene did not make it into the film. My favorite line of the five is 3. It’s really beautiful and then I would say #5 runs a close second.

• ozzie20 August 14, 2012 at 7:18 PM #

I like number 4. I have no idea who says it though.

• Open Book August 14, 2012 at 7:25 PM #

Ozzie

Hmm! Maybe u should speak to Paris about #4. JK! It’s Eric who say’s it.

• ozzie20 August 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM #

LOL! I was thinking it was either him or his theory advisor (Kinksy? I’m not even sure she was his theory advisor! She was the woman in the car when the riot broke out around the limo).

• Open Book August 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM #

Oh! Maybe I should have asked first. Are u talking about the quote from the poll? or the quote from GoodReads?

• ozzie20 August 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM #

Sorry, I meant Good Reads list!

5. littlebells August 14, 2012 at 7:12 PM #

Hi OB!

How are you?

I have not read the book in a while. Hmmm…give me a minute to think.

• Open Book August 14, 2012 at 7:13 PM #

Hi LB!

I’m fine. How are u?

• littlebells August 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM #

the humidity decided to pick up and join our heat wave, so I’m about ready to pull of my skin. 🙂

• Open Book August 14, 2012 at 7:21 PM #

Oh! Noooooo! Sorry to hear.

• Open Book August 14, 2012 at 7:15 PM #

Also take your time!

6. ozzie20 August 14, 2012 at 7:17 PM #

Hi all!

I voted for “The urge to destroy is a creative urge.” 🙂

• Open Book August 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM #

Hi Ozzie!

Nice to see u! How are u now the Olympics are over?

• ozzie20 August 14, 2012 at 7:44 PM #

I’m a little sad. I wish it could go on forever, lol! I really enjoyed it which surprised me as I thought i’d just be indifferent to it all. I’m going to watch the Paralympics to get the buzz back, lol!

• Open Book August 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM #

Ahh! I’m sorry Oz! I know what it feels like. There really is a fun energy surrounding these events.

• Open Book August 14, 2012 at 7:23 PM #

That’s a good quote too Oz. There are not that many that I find horrible. It was really difficult selecting the 10.

7. littlebells August 14, 2012 at 7:21 PM #

Delillo is very poetic to say the least. ok, off topic, but how awesome did you think it was Robert Pattinson got to ring the NYSE bell????!!! yeah I did a happy dance.

• Open Book August 14, 2012 at 7:26 PM #

Yes! I thought it was AWESOME! Have u ever been to NYSE?

• littlebells August 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM #

No but I’ve taken a picture by the bull’s balls! 🙂 I would love to see it though. Watching the comings and goings of currency…intense.

• Open Book August 14, 2012 at 7:30 PM #

hahahahaha! Well I don’t know what to say? I mean I really can’t top that LB! hahahaha!

• littlebells August 14, 2012 at 8:44 PM #

Yeah I dont know if I should take pride in that or not. Hahahahaha!!!

8. littlebells August 14, 2012 at 7:26 PM #

Hi Ozzie!

• Open Book August 14, 2012 at 7:28 PM #

Did any of u see Rob on The Daily Show? Also, what did u think of the Premiere?

• ozzie20 August 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM #

I thought he did very well! I was impressed!

• Open Book August 14, 2012 at 7:56 PM #

Yes! ITA I think Jon Stewart and Rob should do a show together. hahahaha!

Was it your first time ever watching The Daily Show Oz or LB?

• littlebells August 14, 2012 at 8:46 PM #

No I have seen it before. I think Jon was the perfect first interview. Fallon would be abother great one.

• ozzie20 August 14, 2012 at 8:49 PM #

Do gifs count? Lol! Every gif I’ve come across (and there’s been lot’s) I’ve loved. But yes, I think this was the first time I’ve seen his show.

• littlebells August 14, 2012 at 8:52 PM #

Gifs for the mother loving WIN!!!!

• Open Book August 14, 2012 at 9:25 PM #

LOVE! Fallon & Rob. I vote for it!

• ozzie20 August 14, 2012 at 7:48 PM #

Hi LB! 🙂

9. Open Book August 14, 2012 at 7:54 PM #

Ozzie or LB!

What are your thoughts on how visionary Cosmopolis is? Do u think it’s history repeating itself?

• littlebells August 14, 2012 at 8:51 PM #

I think history always has a way of repeating itself in some way. It may take decades but inevitably it happens. There may be a few differences buy human nature has been the same now as it was with Cain and Abel. That’s not to say things can’t change because they do.

• Comic Relief August 14, 2012 at 8:54 PM #

Hi all. Probably should say bye all. The discussion sounded fun, can’t wait for the next one.

10. Open Book August 14, 2012 at 9:49 PM #

Everyone!

Thanks for coming to the discussion. U are more then welcome to continue commenting I will continue to check in.

Goodnight!