Moviegoers Rise-Up Against Fear!

23 Jul

As the country continues to mourn, heal and pray for the fallen citizens of Aurora, Colorado after Friday’s midnight massacre, which caused moviegoers to think twice about America’s favorite pastime. In this article we will look into how audiences are conquering their fear of going to the movies.

The Dark Knight Rises is the third and final installment of the Batman franchise directed by Christopher Nolan. Advanced ticket sales had already showed it would outperform The Avengers (another highly anticipated film)midnight opening, to come out earlier this summer.

Perhaps, it would make anyone fearful, with the constant coverage of the gunmen on the news this weekend. In the video below, one filmgoer stated, “I hope the person responsible doesn’t get any attention or validation from this.”  I tend to agree. To take away ones freedom, enjoyment and love for something as innocent as going to a movie theater (after many Americans are still recovering from the great recession) should not be honored or celebrated.

It’s ironic this particular film was selected to unleash such horror. In The Dark Knight Rises as the story unfolds, it shows the underclass standing up to their oppressors. Conquering their fear, taking back their city that’s been overrun by the wealthy and given over to terrorist. To call moviegoers who saw The Dark Knight Rises this weekend crusaders against terror, may be a little far fetched. However, for the survivors who will forever associate this film with real horror. These moviegoers bravery to not give into fear and take back what was stolen from the innocent victims in Aurora, Colorado is the least we can do to honor them.

Please join our discussion on this topic Tuesday 7/24/2012@7pmE/12UTC

64 Responses to “Moviegoers Rise-Up Against Fear!”

1. Comic Relief July 23, 2012 at 12:00 PM #

Thanks OB,

I’m so sorry things have devolved this far; but we have to protect our democracy and do our best to fight terrorism in all of it’s forms.

• Open Book July 24, 2012 at 5:39 PM #

ITA CR!

2. littlebells July 23, 2012 at 4:41 PM #

We cannot live in fear. If we did, we would never get out from under the bedcovers. Unfortunately I think things are going to get worse before they get better. The only thing I can do is prepare my family that if anything happens to anyone of us, we can meet our maker with a glad heart knowing we lived the best we could.

• Open Book July 24, 2012 at 5:45 PM #

I could not agree more.

3. mercadee July 24, 2012 at 1:59 PM #

Christopher Nolan has accomplished what few other filmmakers have ever been able to do. Nolan’s crafted a trilogy in which each film tops its predecessor(s). Batman Begins introduced the caped crusader as a fully fleshed-out character in a film that proved audiences will turn out to see a quality comic book-inspired movie that takes the source material seriously yet doesn’t turn off moviegoers who aren’t familiar with the comics. The Dark Knight found Nolan delivering the definitive Batman film to date and what’s widely considered to be one of the best comic book films ever made. With his first two Batman movies, Nolan managed to convert non-believers while satisfying Batman fanatics. Gotham City had its savior in the Batman, and moviegoers had Nolan to thank for saving the floundering Batman franchise. And now with The Dark Knight Rises , Nolan finishes up the trilogy with one of the best films of 2012.

• Open Book July 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM #

Welcome Mercade!

This is a really great review. Thanks for sharing.

4. Open Book July 24, 2012 at 6:04 PM #

Heres are moviegoers reactions after seeing TDKR.

• littlebells July 24, 2012 at 7:07 PM #

“Pretty damn epic.” Yep, pretty much!

• Open Book July 24, 2012 at 7:13 PM #

HAHAHAHA!!

5. Open Book July 24, 2012 at 6:37 PM #

Heres an interview from Christopher Nolan

• littlebells July 24, 2012 at 7:18 PM #

Dear Christopher Nolan,

Thank you for your your vision, talent,and talent. Thank you for sharing it with the world. You are remarkable and look forward to your future films:directed, written, produced or otherwise.

Love,
      LB

• Open Book July 24, 2012 at 7:51 PM #

This is great LB!

U know just as I think there is NO WAY Nolan can top this. Then he pulls something like this out his hat. This is by far the best superhero film ever!!

6. Open Book July 24, 2012 at 6:45 PM #

Welcome!

New and returning visitors to our discussion. Please feel free to comment and ask questions.

• Comic Relief July 24, 2012 at 7:02 PM #

Hi OB, …catching up with the videos.

7. Open Book July 24, 2012 at 7:00 PM #

I think this is a wonderful story. What do u think?

• Comic Relief July 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM #

Hopefully these generous gestures will dampen past negative gossip about his temperament or gossip about how down-to-earth he is.

• Open Book July 24, 2012 at 7:39 PM #

I think it say’s a lot about his character.

8. littlebells July 24, 2012 at 7:04 PM #

Hi Mercadee!

Great review and I absolutely agree! He made me a true fan and I love the realism. I have mentioned it in other comments/articles, but I love that he took real, flawed, complex people and made them heroes. Look at those who risked their lives in the Colorado shooting to protect others. Real people doing heroic acts!!!!

• Open Book July 24, 2012 at 7:21 PM #

U Said:”Look at those who risked their lives in the Colorado shooting to protect others. Real people doing heroic acts!!!!”

Me: Beautifully said LB. With all the horrible stories u here on the news its hearing how real people heroic acts, helping someone in need, that gives u hope and faith we can overcome our worst fears.

• Comic Relief July 24, 2012 at 7:27 PM #

I really resent it when the news media collaborates with the psychopath and helps people feel fearful.

• littlebells July 24, 2012 at 7:37 PM #

Yes it does OB!

• ozzie20 July 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM #

I agree.

• Comic Relief July 24, 2012 at 7:23 PM #

“Look at those who risked their lives in the Colorado shooting to protect others”

this is an excellent point.

9. Open Book July 24, 2012 at 7:11 PM #

Hi CR & LB!

• Comic Relief July 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM #

Hi OB and LB.

• littlebells July 24, 2012 at 7:25 PM #

Hi u two!

Hope you are having a very nice week so far. 🙂

• Open Book July 24, 2012 at 7:36 PM #

Yes! I’m good and u?

10. Comic Relief July 24, 2012 at 7:17 PM #

A lot of coverage has attempted to gauge the fear of movie goers but I think the fear of studios and distributors should be watched by movie goers equally.

• Open Book July 24, 2012 at 7:31 PM #

Actually, I’m sorta glad they did not go business as usual. I think it would have sent the wrong message. That they are more concerned with making money then moviegoers in Aurora some of which are still in critical condition. So I think it was appropriate to postpone the premieres. What do u think?

• Comic Relief July 24, 2012 at 7:35 PM #

What they did in Aurora, is what they needed to do. I’m glad the film wasn’t hurt by the psychopath.

“Deadline reports that the official number for North American midnight showings is in fact $30.640 million. A total of $2.232 million came from IMAX screenings, while this record obviously shatters the one set earlier in the year by Marvel’s The Avengers. With a strong international opening, the highly anticipated threequel from Christopher Nolan has amassed a worldwide cume of $71 million.”

Read more at:

• Open Book July 24, 2012 at 7:48 PM #

I really don’t think WB has anything to worry about. This film is good and will make a ton of money. I just think right now people need to mourn, pay tribute and help the fallen citizens in Aurora by us moviegoers giving them our strength and support. Does that make sense?

• Comic Relief July 24, 2012 at 7:54 PM #

I have seen the movie and think it’s great.

Yet I have spoken to two people (who have not seen the film) who associate the movie with danger because of the media. I don’t live anywhere near Aurora and have had intelligent people tell me they were worried for me since they knew I was going.

11. Comic Relief July 24, 2012 at 7:19 PM #

Here are some well known examples:

Plans for The Dark Knight Rises have fallen through in France with Warner Bros. canceling the film’s red carpet premiere in Paris on Friday night in addition to media interviews with director Christopher Nolan and cast members.

Nolan and Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway and Morgan Freeman are at Paris’ hotel Le Bristol to promote the film. However, journalists present at le Bristol for a daytime news conference were told to leave.

In lieu of the shooting in Colorado, Warner Bros. has canceled the interviews. TF1 said that Cotillard was set for an interview on the network’s 8 p.m. news program but canceled her appearance today.

• Comic Relief July 24, 2012 at 7:20 PM #

LONDON – European exhibitors are drawing up plans to ramp up security and boost visibility of security personnel at theaters ahead of Warner Bros.’ international rollout of The Dark Knight Rises following the shooting at a screening of the film in Denver, Colorado early Friday morning.

A highly-placed source at U.K. exhibitor Cineworld told THR that the movie theater chain is beefing up security measures across its 79 sites, of which 76 are multiplex sites with five screens or more, as the movie begins to open wide across its network on Friday. But the Cineworld source declined to reveal any further detail about the nature of the increased security.

12. Comic Relief July 24, 2012 at 7:21 PM #

TORONTO – The Dark Knight Rises movie massacre has cast a shadow over Canadian cinemas.

Domestic exhibition giant Cineplex Entertainment on Friday said it has adopted unspecified security measures in the wake of the Aurora, Colorado tragedy as a safety precaution.

“The safety and security of our guests remains our top priority, and while we believe this was an isolated incident, we have security measures in place for our upcoming shows,” Cineplex, which is rolling out the Warner Bros. tent-pole across its Canadian circuit, said in a statement Friday.

13. ozzie20 July 24, 2012 at 7:27 PM #

Hi all!

I really don’t know what to say apart from my thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their family and friends.

• Comic Relief July 24, 2012 at 7:28 PM #

Hi Ozzie.

• Open Book July 24, 2012 at 7:33 PM #

Hi Ozzie!

Have u seen TDKR yet?

• ozzie20 July 24, 2012 at 7:39 PM #

Hi CR & OB!

Unfortunately, no I haven’t.

• Open Book July 24, 2012 at 7:43 PM #

Oz!
          Will u go and see it in theaters after hearing what happened here? What do u think about America after hearing about this tragedy? Don’t hold back!

• ozzie20 July 24, 2012 at 8:06 PM #

Yeah, we’re pretty safe here. I don’t see it happening here as we have strict gun control laws and the average citizen doesn’t carry guns. That being said I do think its a good idea to look into it and improve where its needed. We have had our own mass shooting tragedies so any awareness and improvement is good. As for America, I say good luck! I would have no idea how to tackle gun control over there! Besides, we have a major knife crime problem so we can’t exactly say what should be done, lol!

• Open Book July 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM #

U Said: “That being said I do think its a good idea to look into it and improve where its needed.”

Me: Do u think film violence may contribute to this problem?” Before films we still had violence so what do u think causes people to carry knives and guns?

• ozzie20 July 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM #

I’m not sure. I guess they could to those who aren’t educated about responsibility or the difference between film and reality. Of course the main reason people carry weapons is for protection. Unless you can garantee that no one else carries a weapon, I’m not sure what you could to stop people from having one.

• littlebells July 24, 2012 at 8:20 PM #

Hi ozzie!!

• ozzie20 July 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM #

LB! *hugs* How are you?

14. littlebells July 24, 2012 at 7:29 PM #

Ok, I get the fear and amping up security, but at the same time, IT’S NOT THE FILMS FAULT!!! Yes, we should all try to be as safe as possible, but I’m not going to limit my extracurricular activities because of someone else’s choices. Ok, I’m about to get witchy with a capital B so I better stop while I’m ahead.

• Open Book July 24, 2012 at 7:34 PM #

LB-

Will u go see TDKR again in theaters?

• Comic Relief July 24, 2012 at 7:36 PM #

absolutely!!!!

• ozzie20 July 24, 2012 at 7:52 PM #

I agree. It was very nice and respectful of them to cancel promotion but it wasn’t their fault nor the films but some lone mad man. The chances of it happening again is very rare. I could understand if it were some global terrorist network where everywhere is at threat but it isn’t. By all means, look into how to prevent it, how to protect people better and maybe make some changes to the law but there’s no need to go over the top when its one crazy person.

• Open Book July 24, 2012 at 8:22 PM #

I personally think the more isolated people are the more paranoid and fearful they become. Meaning there’s no one around to lean on.

• ozzie20 July 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM #

Yes, that is true.

• littlebells July 24, 2012 at 8:17 PM #

Yes and on an IMAX screen!!!

• Open Book July 24, 2012 at 7:58 PM #

LB & Oz!

It’s certainly not the films fault but I think the news media is relentless in the constant coverage of this gunmen. They have even reported on copycats threatening the same thing. What do u think about that?

• ozzie20 July 24, 2012 at 8:11 PM #

Have there actually been any copycats or attempted copycats? If not, I think its mass hysteria whipped up by the media. It happens when any major event happens. The news can’t help itself at times, lol!

• Open Book July 24, 2012 at 8:15 PM #

Yes they arrested some sicko in Maine. He was carrying a ton of arsenal on him.

• ozzie20 July 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM #

Oh dear God. I just can’t understand copycats! I can feel the anger building up again! These people…..! Okay, deep breathes. Well, yes I can understand the hysteria more now. I still think the news media still adds alot to it though.

• littlebells July 24, 2012 at 8:29 PM #

I think maybe people get ideas from films, but ithink the evil inside was there before. I wish we didn’t have as much violence on tv and in movies, but I don’t think it MAKES people do these horrible things.

As for copycats,they arent worth my breath.

As for.media covering this, let’s focus on improving our safety, the heroic acts of others and leave the evil man out.

• Open Book July 24, 2012 at 8:32 PM #

I could not agree more LB!

• ozzie20 July 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM #

I agree with you 100% again, LB! Maybe if everyone focused on the heroic acts, the attention wouldn’t be fully on the killer. He doesn’t get what he wants then and other copycats maybe put off. I know its a niave thought that is probably not applicable in our jaded cynical reality, but atleast its a hopeful thought and hope can be a powerful thing.

15. Comic Relief July 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM #

Great article OB. Sorry I have to go but will return later.

• Open Book July 24, 2012 at 8:07 PM #

CR! Thank u for coming. It was great having u!

• ozzie20 July 24, 2012 at 8:11 PM #

Bye CR!

16. Open Book July 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM #

This is my wrap up to the discussion. However, please feel free to comment and ask questions. I will come back later. But I leave u with this great fan reactions to TDKR it really says it all.

17. Comic Relief July 25, 2012 at 10:26 AM #

– GOOD NEWS –

‘Dark Knight Rises’: Warner Bros. will go ahead with massive foreign rollout
    July 24, 2012, 7:09 PM EST
    By Todd Cunningham
    TheWrap

The tragedy in Colorado notwithstanding, Warner Bros. is going full-steam ahead with its massive foreign rollout of “The Dark Knight Rises.”

Warner Bros. canceled plans for star-studded premieres in Paris, Mexico City and Tokyo over the weekend, but confirmed Tuesday it is going ahead with the film’s major global expansion. It will add 40 more territories to the 17 it opened in over the past weekend, for a total of roughly 17,000 screens.

Despite the Aurora, Colorado, theater massacre, in which 12 were killed and 58 injured, “Dark Knight Rises” has performed strongly at the North American box office, taking in more than $180 million in four days since its Friday opening.