Batman: The Bellwether of Super Hero Films

10 Jul

Opening July 20th, 2012, you may recognize that the The Dark Knight Rises is the last in Christopher Nolan’s trilogy of Batman films.  Now almost a Hollywood tradition, I would like to underline a few attributes you may be overlooking.  The first major out crop of super hero films began in the 1930’s.  If you thought otherwise, do not feel bad (in most online articles) this is one way these movies are frequently described:

Here’s a rundown of what the Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One – Avengers Assembled set will include… [1]”

After all with Marvel Entertainment calling The Avengers the conclusion of phase one of their recent spate of movies (not including the 20th Century Fox Films) it would be easy to assume the super hero film phenomenon was new.  In fact it is not.

1940’s

In the 1940’s, around the creative renaissance of the comic book; Hollywood thought it would test the box office might of moving these unusual heroes to the silver screen.  Two Batman (with Robin) movies were created in that decade. One starred Lewis Wilson in 1943 and one starred Robert Lowery [2] as the character in 1949.

Lewis Wilson: Batman (1943)

Robert Lowery: Batman (1949)

In terms of the character’s mythos these familiar highlights were present, the characters: Vicki Vale, Commissioner Gordon, the Bat Cave with its grandfather clock secret entrance, and a skinny Alfred. Consistent with other super heroes’ films of that era, the characters were frequently costumed from in cloth and nylon costumes.

1960’s

20 years later, Hollywood would make another attempt to sell the superhero Batman.
William Dozier’s 1966 “Batman the Movie” starred Adam West and Burt Ward as the caped crusaders.

Adam West and Burt Ward: Batman the Movie

Consistent with the characters mythos this series featured many of the character’s criminal enemies from the comic book yet the overall narrative strategy of the show was comedic and even campy.  Yet the TV show was the mostly very influential.  The villains who plagued Batman in the comic were presented in a style that would later describe as a “freak of the weak” presentation.  This style would be repeated in most super hero TV shows from the Hulk (1978 to 1982) to Superman in Smallville (2001-2011).

1990’s

Though the character appeared on film three times before, no one had attempted to tell his origin, (haven’t things changed in 30 years).  Unlike the prior iterations this film returned the character to its dark roots.  Mildly far more realistic than the previous work, it wasn’t until the series was handed to Joel Schumacher that the series resembled the campy TV hit of the sixties.

1989 Batman movie

• Tim Burton’s Batman proved that by hiring good actors and being inventive with this genre one could create Blockbuster entertainment that previously wasn’t popular.

2000’s

It wasn’t until 2005’s “Batman Begins”, that Batman maintained the rouge gallery but, incidentally toned down the theatrical production to enable the most realistic treatment ever.  Christopher Nolan reinterpreted everything to emphasize function over camp stylishness, and created an adventure character that you could (tongue-in-cheek) believe.  President of Production Kevin Feige claimed:

“…Chris Nolan’s Batman is the greatest thing that happened because it bolstered everything [3]”

2012 The Dark Knight Rises

Nolan demonstrated that by encouraging Oscar nominated actor’s performances within sophisticated stories the genre could hint at a powerful and popular narratives.

The Future:

So we know a studio reboot is planned yet what will we (the audience) get?  It’s not too hard to assume many like me would love to see the character handled like he was in the Nolan trilogy.  As much as the series can’t really be a realistic portrayal of the character, that’s how the series is always discussed.  With a pinch of realistic vantage point, a dash of nonlinear story-telling, and the interjection of little sociological realism; adults can comfortably enjoy the films much like they might enjoy another fantasy or science fiction film.

Since many supported the series yet may have missed or more comic book like portrayal maybe further embracing the comic world would be a good idea. Websites like Newsarama.com claims the avengers is the greatest comic book move ever precisely because the film acts like a comic book.

While our former all-time favorite “Batman Begins” got its position because it

“didn’t play like a comic book superhero movie”, it gets dethroned by “The

Avengers” because the latter plays EXACTLY like a comic book superhero movie [4]!”

That being said when you look at the history of the character in this genre; it took four iterations of the character to specify the traumatic origin of the character.  He would not have begun his war on crime dressed the way he does without the murder of his parents.  Yeah we see the motivation of the character but we still know nothing about pathological manifestation in this presentation.

In the comic book, a great deal of attention is paid to how the attack on his family influenced Bruce Wayne’s psyche.  He, his father and mother were assaulted and torn apart by one violent robbery.  The comic book also goes to great pains to illustrate a response in regard to each family member.

Representing the adult male perspective like his father’s, characters have been written to take posts to resist urban tragedies like the one that impacted the Wayne’s. Batman and a cast of crime fighting vigilantes is described as Batman INC.  Representing the adult female perspective like Bruce’s mother on that terrible night, characters like Batgirl, Batwoman, and the Huntress try to protect Gotham citizens from fates suffered by the Wayne’s.  Representing the child’s perspective like Bruce’s on that night, many teens have played the role of Robin.

Time will only tell what way we will see this character promoted again or how or whether it will influence the genre.  Until then we have can thank Nolan for an impressive end to a provocative series.

Please join us for a discussion Tuesday: 7/10/2012@7pmE/12UTC

———————————————————————————

Essential references:

[1] http://collider.com/marvel-blu-ray-collectors-set-trailer/176293/

[2] http://screenrant.com/comic-book-superhero-movies-tv-shows-history-pauly-155733/

[3] http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=58996

[4] http://www.newsarama.com/comics/10-best-comic-book-movies-110625-1.html

79 Responses to “Batman: The Bellwether of Super Hero Films”

1. littlebells July 10, 2012 at 6:31 PM #

CR–FAN-FRIGGIN-TASTIC!!!

I love watching the early Batman footage! Yes previous films have seemed campy and comedic, but if you look at the era and times, I think they were almost appropriate. Something like Nolan’s creations would not have gone over well in the 1940s.

Of all the Batman films, Nolan’s has been my favorite because of the realism and action. I like that both the superhero and villans are very real as far as flaws, insecurities, and trials. It kind of makes the rest of us normal folk think that there is a superhero within us.

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 7:14 PM #

hahhaha,
      I absolutely agree.

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 7:18 PM #

Something I mentioned in the article, some really like the movies to not only reference the comics but also be like the comics. Do you agree?

2. littlebells July 10, 2012 at 6:44 PM #

CR,

I think there is a fine line between campy/almost parody like and campy/fun and thrilling. Yes The Avengers does seem a bit more light hearted next to the latest Batman flicks, but it’s done in a savvy, fun way. Oh and it’s still intelligent.

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 7:21 PM #

LB

Yeah, I would have to agree. I also liked that they appeared to be something we had never sen before. I think that contributed to the appearance of it seeming to be light yet fun entertainment.

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 8:29 PM #

Here is another fantasy, that isn’t very comic book like, yet still helps us understand our world we live in better.

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 8:30 PM #

I accidentally posted this above.

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 8:34 PM #

Hope this works this time. I answered you with the clips below.

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 8:52 PM #

Obviously I’m still getting this wrong. I will stop.

• ozzie20 July 10, 2012 at 9:02 PM #

I wanted to watch this and when it finally came on the tv, I missed it! I’m still angry with myself, lol!

3. littlebells July 10, 2012 at 6:46 PM #

CR,

How would you describe Bruce Wayne’s evolution?

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 7:24 PM #

Of course I haven’t seen the last movie, but I think psychologically speaking he has become a richer character. Tim Burton deserves a lot of credit for this.

• Open Book July 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM #

Ooo! Can I get in on this?

Bruce Wayne in Nolan’s hands has become more three dimensional. He has real flaws u see him get his ass kicked. U see bruises and blood. I like it! Even his costume is practical and functional. I thought Nolan really played up Bruce Wayne as being a flamboyant playboy and reckless to cover up his night time activities as BM. This added more mystery and interest in his character. Bruce Wayne was very calculating. Nolan let the audiences see inside his mind unlike Tim Burton.

4. Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 7:16 PM #

Hello, new and past vistors. Feel free to comment where you would like.

5. ozzie20 July 10, 2012 at 7:31 PM #

Hi all!

Great article CR! I never knew Batman had been around (movie wise) for that long! I assumed it started in the 60’s.

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 7:34 PM #

Hi, Ozzie.

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 7:40 PM #

It surprised me at first also. So hollywood has had a lot of time to get this right.

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 7:49 PM #

…for a description of this progress please look lower on the page.

• ozzie20 July 10, 2012 at 8:02 PM #

Thank you for the link! That’s quite an evolution of a character!

6. Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 7:32 PM #

In regard to comic book movies being very much like the comics they come from, I don’t agree.

I just saw Spiderman and it was largely like the comic. I hated it.

I mean Andrew Garfield was fantastic. Channeling all of that charisma he demonstrated in “Social Network” as Peter Parker was a real treat. Yet the script and especially characterization was a mess. I’m not sure I would have noticed in a comic but acted out theatrically, IMHO it was very apparent.

• ozzie20 July 10, 2012 at 7:41 PM #

Aww, that’s a shame. I was hoping for it to be really good. Are they doing anymore Spiderman movies with Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone or is it just a one off?

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 7:57 PM #

I’m pretty sure they are. Gwynn Stacy (played by Emma stone) was one of the crazier characters. Unless she was suffering a self-destructive meltdown there’s no way she should have been attracted to Peter. Or maybe I have no idea how women think.

Within I short period of time she demonstrated that…

…did not care whether Peter had any instincts for self-preservation.
        … peter was willing to steal to get his way.
        …had little or no respect for her father.

Or maybe this is just me, the movie has made tons of cash already.

• littlebells July 10, 2012 at 8:06 PM #

Oh thats a real shame. I’m sorry to hear that. 😦 sorry i haf to leave for a min. Or 20.

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 8:17 PM #

That’s fine, thanks for coming.

• ozzie20 July 10, 2012 at 8:06 PM #

Oh dear! I’m a bit worried now! But as you say its made alot of money and unfortunately thats the most important thing for a studio. Writing a good script comes second.

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 8:18 PM #

Unfortunately I can’t disagree.

• Open Book July 10, 2012 at 8:36 PM #

Oh! I was hoping Spiderman was going to be good too CR. ITA poor character development. Plus I hated the antagonist. Basically Peter Parker mistreated and endangered his family but found a soft spot for saving strangers and helping his fathers co-worker. Yet, refuses to pick up eggs for Aunt May? What gives? LOL!!

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 8:47 PM #

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ITA. I really don’t understand, it is wasn’t for Garfield playing the character everyone would think he was an ass. This one case where I don’t believe fan boys got it right, but it’s fairly early in the film’s run; maybe the tide will turn.

• Open Book July 10, 2012 at 8:55 PM #

Also, I’m really being critical now. When PP visits Oscorp he is freely roaming around then he wonders into a secure room and he decides to hang out with a bunch of radioactive spiders? This guy is suppose to be smart not stupid. Also, where are the security cameras in Oscorp? Then another pet peeve PP eyes are bad but he manages to see the code to get in the secure room across the hall. Like I said very poor development.

• ozzie20 July 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM #

Maybe when he was wandering around Oscorp he found a lazar and gave himself laser eye surgery? They let him go where ever he wanted so I think unauthorised use of equipment should be no problem as well! Lol!

• Open Book July 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM #

LOL! LOL!LOL!!!! Oh! I guess I should have filled in that part myself. Darn It!!

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM #

Extremely stupid is more like it.

7. Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 7:59 PM #

Ozzie,

Do you see any benefit to movies acting like the comic books they come from?

• ozzie20 July 10, 2012 at 8:12 PM #

I think its important to show the origin of the character so the audience understands it better but I’m not sure for the rest. I think it should be done and kept in the same type of style of the comic though because otherwise you might as well make an entirely new superhero.

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM #

Ozzie, in general I guess I agree.

What I really like and will probably miss about Nolan’s films is the sense the movie somewhat occurs in the real world. After all real actors are being used, your working with more than illustrations and drawings. I love to take trips into fictional worlds, but why not use fantasy to tell us more about the world we live in?

That’s part of what Iloved about films like “Brazil.”

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 8:43 PM #

It just occurred to me that I really like this fantasy as real world evaluation topic.
          Here’s another terry Gilliam film, “Twelve monkeys.”

• ozzie20 July 10, 2012 at 8:49 PM #

That’s a very good point CR and I agree!

I haven’t seen either of those films. They both look very interesting so I’ll have to watch them! :

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 8:55 PM #

To the woman who hooked me on “Coraline”, I believe “Brazil” is the better of the two. Still both are very trippy.

• ozzie20 July 10, 2012 at 9:00 PM #

LOL! Ok, I’ll watch Brazil first!

• Open Book July 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM #

That’s is wonderfully stated CR ITA.

8. Open Book July 10, 2012 at 8:26 PM #

Hi Everyone,

I’m here let me read and get caught up.

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 8:36 PM #

Hi OB.

• ozzie20 July 10, 2012 at 8:43 PM #

Hi OB!

• Open Book July 10, 2012 at 8:45 PM #

Hi Ozzie!

9. Open Book July 10, 2012 at 8:30 PM #

CR- Great, FANTASTIC RESEARCH!! AWESOME!

Its funny listening to the old Batman shows. There’s all this narration at the beginning. Do u think they did this because people were use to listening to the radio before TV and they were trying to make the transition onto TV?

• Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 8:33 PM #

Hi OB,

That’s an excellent theory, I don’t know but it seems plausible (and likely).

We have had a similar discussion lately where we concluded that voice over is a dying art. Just sayin…

• Open Book July 10, 2012 at 8:38 PM #

Yep! Voice overs seems to be better suited for television not films anyway.

• ozzie20 July 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM #

That’s an interesting theory OB!I like it! 🙂

• Open Book July 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM #

Thanks Oz!

10. Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM #

Since I brought it up in the article I think I’m still responsible for following through with the possible futu of Batman films following a trajectory similar to the comics.

11. Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM #

I mentioned in the article that comics have a number of Batmen characters.
    Here is a description:

12. Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM #

I mentioned in the article that comics have a number of Robin characters.
    Here is a description:

13. Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM #

LB, OB, or Ozzie do any of these directions appeal to you?

• ozzie20 July 10, 2012 at 9:17 PM #

The Batwomen would. For some reason I never liked Robin.When I watched it a child he came across as an over enthusiastic wannabe Batman! However, I wouldn’t begudge any films for fans of him. I just wouldn’t watch them!

14. Open Book July 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM #

everyone-

I have to go. Great article and clips CR. I can’t wait to see this movie. I’m SO PSYCHED!! I heard there was a standing ovation at the end. Is that true?

Goodnight!

15. Comic Relief July 10, 2012 at 9:11 PM #

Thanks everyone for coming. I will return later to check for any comments I might have missed.

16. ozzie20 July 10, 2012 at 9:19 PM #

Night OB, CR and LB! I’ve had alot of fun tonight! Take care.

17. Comic Relief July 16, 2012 at 1:57 AM #

Thanks Ozzie, here’s another film history image to complete the night. No particular reason.

Hotwheels Batmobiles Collection

18. littlebells July 22, 2012 at 1:03 AM #

I was going to save this for Movie Buzz next week, but thought it would go better here. In light of the recent horrific tragedy of TDKR opening weekend, I’m afraid to give my review of the film because I don’t want my excitement for the film to overshadow how deeply mortified I am by what has happened.

I will save my full review for later, but I wanted to say that I was pleased as punch with this film. I literally jumped out of my seat at the end of the film and cheered. WEre there some technicalities, yes, but I was thoroughly impressed and thrilled with this final film. The last 5 minutes were my absolute favorite, and I was proven right by my gut instinct I had less then halfway through the film regarding Blake. I’m sad to think we will never get another Nolan film as I think the way he ended TDKR was perfection for another Nolan masterpiece.

CR,

What do you think the future of Batman will be as far as who can carry on in Bale’s large shoes? I mean I really am having a hard time visualizing someone else, not to say there isn’t someone who can do it. And you can’t just introduce Robin and then not do anything with him!!! Nolan made me a major Batman fan so I’m really afraid of WB screwing it up for me…why do I always wind up loving something that ends up being the “last one”??? Totally rhetorical question. 🙂

19. Comic Relief July 23, 2012 at 5:53 AM #

LB (this is what I wanted to say),

Unless you went to the midnight showing unaware of the terror occurring in Colorado, you were robbed of the pure experience of seeing that movie without the awkward knowledge of carnage tacked onto that event. LB, fortunately you had that experience.

Meaning we (as a community) were hoping to put the adult burdens like surviving a tough economy, putting aside often ugly election politics, tolerating the challenges of our adult lives or even trying to raise children in environments that are thoughtful and pure. For adults, these activities are all work that the TDKR might have (if only for a short time) relieved us from.

Because we are of healthy minds we will (in the most protective manner) mourn and feel with the surviving families. Those who saw the movie in defiance of this event will repress our glee with this still enormous movie. While acknowledging that the film was many things, pure spectacle, high-powered fantasy, and the most sophisticated adult social commentary we will sustain our adult guises just a little longer. Of course these events leave us frustrated, but unlike narrative violence aimed to provide a cathartic and revelatory release for audiences, terror intended senseless violence is an act of theft that few can abide with.

20. Comic Relief July 23, 2012 at 5:55 AM #

LB (this is what I wanted to follow it up with),

Oh and about the movie, wasn’t it thrilling!!!!!!!!!!! Like you, the only thing that made me mad was watching so many new plot possibilities role out knowing I would never see them executed by NOLAN. In my best comic cursing “#$%^&*&^@#$$&%$#” I hope I don’t under express how frustrated I am.

• littlebells July 23, 2012 at 4:27 PM #

CR,

I will #$@$%#$%^$%#$@%$%$%$ right along with you!!! I was reading different blogs and comments about the film and I’m curious as to why Nolan included Robin in this when apparently he actually said he never would. Some people thing WB wanted him to do that for the future JL. Either way, it’s always been Batman AND Robin, so I have been patiently waiting to see how he would be incorporated. (I’m sorry, I just have never grasped O’Donnell’s Robin). So basically as happy as I was watching Robin surface (literally leg bouncing and rocking back and forth in my seat), I’m ticked because I think JGL would be friggin awesome and Nolan set up the character with backbone, intelligence, morals, and the ability to go into “battle”. He’s another average Joe who has something in him that will make him extraordinary. DANG YOU NOLAN FOR GIVING THIS FAN HOPE AND THEN SQUASH IT LIKE A BUG!!! (I’m only half kidding 🙂 )

As to your previous comment, I was fortunate to see this film without it being tainted by Colorado’s atrocity. However, it will still be a film I associate with the shooting. My prayers are with those who are suffering and for all of us who are looking for justice to be served.

• Comic Relief July 23, 2012 at 6:24 PM #

“I will #$@$%#$%^$%#$@%$%$%$ right along with you!!! I was reading different blogs and comments about the film and I’m curious as to why Nolan included Robin in this when apparently he actually said he never would.”

LB,

Bale said he would act opposite a Robin either. I can’t begin to understand Nolan’s reasoning but I think some part of him can’t help but honor the source material, and if fans love Robin as much as Alfred and Commissioner Gordon, he’s going to deliver Robin. Of course he’s going to apply the patented Nolan reasoning in the process. Get ready to get a big tablespoon of reality.

Contemporary pedophilias, being what it is he couldn’t have Bruce adopt another pre-teen orphan. That was plausible in the 1930’s, today in our Sandusky era of frequent molestation tragedies; Nolan chose a far more believable origin for the character though it barely resembles the original character.

• Comic Relief July 23, 2012 at 6:25 PM #

“Some people think WB wanted him to do that for the future JL. Either way, it’s always been Batman AND Robin, so I have been patiently waiting to see how he would be incorporated. (I’m sorry, I just have never grasped O’Donnell’s Robin).”

Me either, but to be honest Joel Schumacher seemed to be way too interested in supporting the homosexual alternative expression of the characters that most fans did not accept.

If one wants to explore that take on the dynamic duo, there’s more than enough places to see that topic explored on the internet. DC Comics nor Warner’s ever endorsed that interpretation.

• Comic Relief July 23, 2012 at 6:26 PM #

“So basically as happy as I was watching Robin surface (literally leg bouncing and rocking back and forth in my seat), I’m ticked because I think JGL would be friggin awesome and Nolan set up the character with backbone, intelligence, morals, and the ability to go into “battle”.”

Hate to be Donald Downer, I agree, yet we may never see this with Nolan involved.

• Comic Relief July 23, 2012 at 6:27 PM #

“He’s another average Joe who has something in him that will make him extraordinary. DANG YOU NOLAN FOR GIVING THIS FAN HOPE AND THEN SQUASH IT LIKE A BUG!!! (I’m only half kidding ).”

LOL, you just won’t give up.

• Comic Relief July 23, 2012 at 6:28 PM #

“However, it will still be a film I associate with the shooting. My prayers are with those who are suffering and for all of us who are looking for justice to be served.”

As long as everyone feels the same way we might overcome this.

21. littlebells July 23, 2012 at 4:42 PM #

CR ,

I also was curious as to what most fanboys/girls thought of the film and the ending. I think I also read a rumor where WW might make an appearance in Superman…Hmmm…so many unknowns.

• Comic Relief July 23, 2012 at 6:42 PM #

It seems like me, most were extremely pleased.

I don’t understand those who were not pleased.

Yet negative responses can be due to a lot of things….

1. Teens’ and childish Marvel fans who know they were trumped. Imagine their dismay; the Caped Crusader embraces social commentary and real reflective politics while Marvels heads to the stars with characters who are talking trees and funny raccoons.

2. It was just over their heads. I‘ve read for some time there’s a contingent of fans who miss the more cartoon Batman. I could be wrong and I don’t believe they miss the William Dozier, Adam West/Burt Ward version; I believe many prefer the Tim Burton (cartoony characterization, production design, and storylines) Batman.

3. And as you know consensus building on the web can be as easy as having concealed identities express their objections in mass. This might be as easy as having a lot of Limbaugh-supporters express their displeasure to create the impression of a dissenting consensus.

Either way most have to see the film as really successful critically and financially.

22. Comic Relief July 23, 2012 at 6:46 PM #

LB,

P.S. Were you pleased with the Superman Trailer?

I guess we will have to wait until later to see if Wonder Woman shows up.

• littlebells July 23, 2012 at 7:11 PM #

CR,

I want to thank you for all your follow up answers. I really appreciate it and know that when I have questions you are bound to give me great feedback. I’m still a total newbie to comics so it’s nice to know there’s someone I trust to answer my questions.

As for the Superman trailer: Hellllllll yeah I’m excited! It’s got producer Nolan’s edgy look and realistic feel so woop, woop for me! I’m already counting down the months/days till I can see it in my theater. As for a WW, I really hope not, and you KNOW how I feel about her. This is Superman’s time to build his story without another superhero getting in the mix.

As bummed as I am that I will never see Nolan do another Batman film, I am happy with what he did give us because now I can create my vision of what happens next. And Robin isn’t wearing girlie tights, that’s for sure! 🙂

23. littlebells August 8, 2012 at 10:23 PM #

k random and probably doesn’t go here, but we don’t have a justice league article yet: what do you think CR? OB?