A Tribute to David Cronenberg

28 May

By Littlebells

This year, David Cronenberg brought a new film to the Cannes film festival: COSMOPOLIS. The film is an adaptation of Don Delillo’s 2003 novel.

• New York is in turmoil, the age of capitalism is drawing to a close end. Eric Packer, a young high finance golden boy, dives into a white limousine. While a visit from the President of the United States paralyses Manhattan, Eric Packer has one obsession: getting a haircut at his barber’s at the other end of the city. As the day goes by, chaos sets in, and he watches helplessly as his empire collapses. Also he is sure that someone is going to assassinate him. When? Where? He is about to live the most decisive 24 hours of his life.”[1]

Many fans of Delillo and Cronenberg are excited to see the two merge onscreen.  Cronenberg is well known for The Fly, Crash, A History of Violence, Videodrome, and The Dead Zone.  He likes to work in the art of horror, mutation, explicit carnage, and the use of dark backgrounds.  He seems to be the best director for bringing COSMOPOLIS to life.  According to Psychologies, a well respectable Russian magazine, gives COSMOPOLIS 4 out of four stars.

• Cosmopolis- , expressive, gloomy/impenetrable without illusions -it mostly reminds us of Edvard Munch’s painting “The Scream” and you should agree that not often do we feel like comparing modern films with real pieces of art.”[2]

The film premiered Friday, May 25, and received a 15 minute standing ovation.  Reviews seemed to be mixed, but overall were positive of both Cronenberg and it’s lead star, Robert Pattinson.

• Working here with a spare, episodic narrative and dialogue that teems with heady ideas, Cronenberg adopts a direct, scene-by-scene approach that crucially nails the novel’s tone of archly stylized pessimism.”[3] –Variety
  • Despite being a small-scale and intimate project, Cronenberg doesn’t leave his directorial flair with the valet parking staff, he makes the film a visual whirlwind of weird and wonderful. The picture heavily relies on colour and strong exhibition and Cronenberg’s camera fails to miss even a stitch of the leather upholstery. But the film’s true driving force (excuse the pun) is Pattinson’s utterly fearless, audacious and sizzling performance.”[4] –Filmoria

Please join us for a discussion Tuesday 5/29/2012@7pmE/12UTC

————————————————————–

20 Responses to “A Tribute to David Cronenberg”

1. littlebells May 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM #

I read the book a year ago and let me say: I was so confused throughout and kept thinking “what is this strangeness?”! hahaha!!! 🙂

2. Open Book May 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM #

Great article LB-

First let me say I’m so excited Directors are willing to take risk and take on something as complex as this subject matter. The reviews I’ve read on this film have been so impressive compared to what I’ve read on deadline, indiewire and HR which panned Cosmo but seemed to favor OTR. Hmm!!

Outside of these few sites that clearly was compensated for their efforts in embellishing how great OTR was received at Cannes. Clearly shows who can be bought to do false reporting. LOL!!! None the less Cosmopolis is innovative and forward thinking and Rob was a great choice for Eric and a bold role for Rob to choose. I love he’s proving to be someone worth paying attention too. He’s not boring a visionary and worth investing in long term. I will definitely see this film.

• littlebells May 28, 2012 at 3:31 PM #

Don’t even get me started on OTR…sites can say whatever they want, but I’m sorry, most reviews were very harsh and doesn’t it say something that OTR canceled their LGJ????

Cosmopolis may have had some mixed reviews, but most were very positive. It is a book/film that you will be thinking about days later trying to make sense of what you just experienced.

• Comic Relief May 29, 2012 at 11:31 AM #

TSK, TSK, TSK,

I’m not dwelling but in the past you have chastised me for bringing up Lifetime, soap operas, etc. . Of course, I asked why; because they are on TV. Yet who brings up OTR?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is so sweet, and really I don’t even deserve it.

• ozzie20 May 29, 2012 at 8:05 PM #

I’m glad you mentioned those sites OB because for the past few months I’ve been wondering if they have been doing just that!

3. Open Book May 28, 2012 at 3:12 PM #

I have seen almost all of DC films. I like that he alternates back and forth from edgier films like Cosmo to period dramas like Dangerous Method lately. Sure its not like his old work, which most conventionalist have an issue with. However, he’s challenging himself and taking risk. I like that!! It makes him interesting to watch. When innovators change up conventionalist always scream “THE HORROR” because it requires them to grow and change. I’m still a DC fan and can’t wait to see what he’s doing next.

• littlebells May 28, 2012 at 3:29 PM #

I haven’t seen much of DC’s work, so I am Netflixing like crazy!!!! I did try watching a Dangerous Method, but I couldn’t finish it. I just could not take KK. I was so distracted by the facial distortions it killed it for me. From what I did see, the rest of the cast was superb. I’m looking forward to seeing Sarah Gadon in Cosmopolis now!

4. parisienne May 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM #

Hi Everyone,

The only film I have seen of DC’s is The Fly. As far as OTR at Cannes, she did it to herself (I hear a funeral dirge for her career playing) There are so many books that I need to catch up on, it looks like. (Cosmo)

I’m glad for DC that his film was well received at Cannes. He is a great visionary,

• littlebells May 28, 2012 at 6:24 PM #

It is the weirdest book, Paris!!! It’s a very short, small book, but holy crap if you aren’t left scratching your head going, “What the…???” hahaha!!! 🙂

• ozzie20 May 29, 2012 at 7:54 PM #

I think I’ve only seen The Fly too but I may have done my usual where I think I’ve never seen/read/heard the “in” thing but find out years down the line after the buzz has past that I did see/read/hear it I just didn’t realise it. DOH!

I agree with LB, it is a wierd little book. I think I understood it so this film will be either a “aha, I was right!” or the most likely option “…Well, I was way off the point!” Lol! 🙂

5. Lurker May 29, 2012 at 7:16 PM #

WOW, first time I’ve seen the trailer for this! I’m impressed. The book was good material IMO. From the trailer, what impressed me was the boldness of the movie, not only in the subject matter but the characters being so over the top. I didn’t know Kevin Durand was that one character. That makes it exciting, and Paul GIamatti. Well, I’m ready to see him in this one too.

Its different so I hope that the movie fits the pieces of the story together better for the audience than the book.

• littlebells May 29, 2012 at 8:04 PM #

Kevin Durand was in a movie, can’t remember the title, and he played the fteakiest guy ever!!! Have u seen Cronenberg’s other films?

• ozzie20 May 29, 2012 at 8:07 PM #

*hugs* Hi Lurker!

6. ozzie20 May 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM #

I’m here! I don’t know for how long but I’m here, lol! I’m so tired I may pass out on you all! 🙂

• littlebells May 29, 2012 at 8:10 PM #

Hi Ozzie!

• littlebells May 29, 2012 at 8:14 PM #

Ozzie have u read the book or seen any of Cronenberg’s films?

Do u think this will be worldwide release because it did so well at Cannes?

What do u think of.the cast?

• ozzie20 May 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM #

Hi LB! 🙂

I have read the book. I basically think the same as you. It has an odd pace. It’s very stop and start and switches about often but I think that helps you get into the mindset of Eric Packer. It’s also difficult to keep up with but again I think it helps with the story. I think you’re meant to be left uncertain and a bit uneasy after finishing it as that’s the way the world can be. Especially Eric too. The only thing he seems certain of is wanting a hair cut. The rest of him has an erratic need to find solid ground and to find somthing he can connect to instead of this cold, calculated machine, that is only really suited to the financial world (and is the reason why he’s so good at it).

For me, the last two questions go hand in hand. I really do hope it is released worldwide not just because of the reaction at Cannes but for it’s stella cast too. I think it was perfect casting all round!

Hopefully that ramble will make sense to you, lol!

7. littlebells May 29, 2012 at 7:58 PM #

Sorry I’m late! Please ask any questions u may have. 🙂

8. parisienne May 29, 2012 at 9:44 PM #

Hi!
    What is it that Eric Packer wants? Rob said in an interview that Eric wants somethng that does not exist. In your opinion, what does he want?

9. littlebells May 30, 2012 at 1:39 AM #

Gosh, it’s been so long, but I want to say…inner happiness and a normal connection with the world and those around him. I honestly can’t remember.