Cult Classics: Horror

14 Sep

By:  Parisienne

Continuing our Series on Cult Classic Films.

• Carnival of Souls: This film premiered in 1962 and was directed by Herk Harvey.  It starred Candace Hilligoss, Frances Feist and Sidney Berger.

Mary and her friends drown in a river after falling off a bridge during a drag race.  Sometime later, Mary emerges from the water and drives to another town to start her life over.  She is haunted by demons that she must confront.[1]

• Night of the Living Dead:  Directed by George Romero and starred Duane Jones, Judith O’Dea and Karl Hardman.  The film premiered in 1968.[2]

Radiation has fallen from the sky and caused the deceased to rise.  The dead people use the living as the source for their food.[3]

•  Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Directed by Tobe Hooper and premiered in 1974.

Marilyn Burns, Edwin Neal and Allen Danziger starred in this film.

Five teenagers going to visit their grandfather’s grave pick up and drop off a hitchhiker and then end up at the home of cannibals.[4]

• Psycho:  This film was directed by Alfred Hitchcock and premiered in 1960.  It starred Janet Leigh, Anthony Perkins, Vera Miles and John Gavin.

A young woman steals $40,000 from her employer’s client, and subsequently encounters a young motel proprietor too long under the domination of his mother.[5]

34 Responses to “Cult Classics: Horror”

1. Open Book September 14, 2011 at 4:03 PM #

Great selection Paris.

What foreign horror film do u think over the last decade could be considered a cult classic?

• comic relief September 14, 2011 at 5:28 PM #

Paris,

Almost considered the Spielberg of horror; it’s amazing (to me) that Hitchcock spent any time in this category.

Hopefully you haven’t eaten recently.

The shower scene still carries a warning label on Youtube. Here see why…

• Parisienne September 14, 2011 at 8:09 PM #

CR,

I think hitchcock is great! My 3 favorite films by him are Psycho, The Birds and Rear Window.

• ozzie20 September 15, 2011 at 7:03 PM #

I love Psycho and Rear Window!

• Parisienne September 14, 2011 at 8:05 PM #

Open Book,

This one goes back quite a bit but Nosferatu. I can’t think of anything good from the last decade, thats not been a remake.

• Open Book September 16, 2011 at 4:42 PM #

Paris-

O.k. I’m going to put this out there. LOL!! But do u think “Let the Right One In” could be a CC Horror film? Here’s a clip.

• comic relief September 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM #

“Let the right one in”, I really love that film. This film has a story that concentrates on child actors but they are not annoying at all.

Thanks for reminding me I’ve seen a horror film since 9-11.

Despite the recent non-creative overload with the genre, this film renewed my faith in vampires.

• ozzie20 September 16, 2011 at 6:53 PM #

I love Let the Right One In! Still haven’t seen the American version yet.

• comic relief September 17, 2011 at 1:37 PM #

I haven’t either. Maybe because I’m pretty satified with the original.

I could be wrong but i think might be able to scratch that off of your need to see list. On the other hand, i did hear good things about Chloe Moritz acting in it.

2. littlebells September 14, 2011 at 6:59 PM #

HI CR!

Psycho is great. I also love Halloween!

OB!

Great question! Hmmm…you’ve got me thinking now.

• Parisienne September 14, 2011 at 8:13 PM #

LittleBells,

Thanks for the Halloween mention. completely forgot to throw it in.

• ozzie20 September 15, 2011 at 7:08 PM #

I like Halloween H20 even though it’s not a popular choice!

3. comic relief September 15, 2011 at 11:51 AM #

Obviously, we know who was the master and who was the pupil. Yet in Halloween, I was wondering what that tutoring session might look like.

More specifically, I was wondering whether John Carpenter intended to extend a conversation with Hitchcock. Please look at the beginning of the movie and tell me what you think.

• comic relief September 15, 2011 at 11:52 AM #

It’s hilarious that we never talk about horror here.

• littlebells September 15, 2011 at 7:17 PM #

It’s true! haha! 🙂 What is it about horror films that attracts legions of fans, in your opinion?

• comic relief September 16, 2011 at 1:52 PM #

I think people are amazed they can be scared out of their seats by something as usual and mudane as a film.

And will continue to go to these films just to verify this can happen and thrill at the possibility this event can occur again and again.

• comic relief September 16, 2011 at 1:54 PM #

i don’t know why people see movies go to movies like “Saw.” They appear to be addicts; IMO.

• littlebells September 16, 2011 at 6:40 PM #

I only saw the very first one and it literally made me ill. It seemed like very realistic torture and I couldn’t deal with that. Although I did like the ending. I did not expect that.

• ozzie20 September 15, 2011 at 7:31 PM #

I never thought about a connection from this film to Pyscho. Then again I don’t think I’ve watched any Halloween film (apart from Halloween H20) all the way through! I can see the similarities in they way they were both filmed now.

4. Parisienne September 15, 2011 at 3:58 PM #

Hi all!

I am going to be late tonight.

5. littlebells September 15, 2011 at 7:15 PM #

Hi everyone!

CR, I would love to watch more horror movies, but a certain somebody is “too scared” to watch them. :/ Therefore my repetoire is pretty limited. I’ve never seen Nightmare on Elm Street all the way through, but I did like what I saw. Don’t forget Friday the 13th and

• comic relief September 16, 2011 at 5:46 PM #

“Children of the Corn”, never saw it. Looks like I’m headed to the video store or library to check this out.

6. littlebells September 15, 2011 at 7:26 PM #

Another classic cult horror film would also have to be The Exorcist

• ozzie20 September 15, 2011 at 7:37 PM #

Everyone I know thinks that The Exorcist is tame but it still scares me! It’s the whole having someone else controling your body that scares me rather than the more obvious stuff. We had a small earthquake here a few years ago at night and the first thought that popped in to my head was “my bed is shaking like in The Exorcist, help me!” Lol

• littlebells September 15, 2011 at 7:46 PM #

Haha! I don’t even remember the last time I saw The Exorcist! It’s more gross than scary. Didn’t they do a remake or something similar along the lines of a documentary? I want to say yes. Hmm…

• ozzie20 September 15, 2011 at 7:57 PM #

I think there was a documentary but I’m not sure myself!

• littlebells September 15, 2011 at 8:01 PM #

Yeah I remember seeing the trailer and that one totally freaked me out!

• comic relief September 16, 2011 at 2:05 PM #

Sorry, bad childhood experiences prevent me from even playing the Exorcist clip. Sorry, I’m a chicken.

If big strong policeman, Mr. Bells is that certain someone I have to admit I agree with him. Unfortunately this is one of the reasons I frequently stay away from this genre.

I have a vivid imagination, and frequently believe everything I see.

Sorry I wasn’t at the discussion. This is a silly problem I really want to talk my way through.

• Open Book September 16, 2011 at 4:46 PM #

Love your honesty!! However, I don’t think u are alone. The only way I’m able to watch because I know how to make the gore. But I still get the creeps.LOL!! Especially when watching “The Exorcist” and “Carrie” they are big time nightmare films for me.

• comic relief September 16, 2011 at 6:15 PM #

O.K.,

You made me feel better so I watched it. Editted completely out of context, that trailer wasn’t so bad.

An older sister used to play these movies around me when I was young and extremely impressionable. She isn’t in psychiatric ward yet, I may commit her if I live long enough.

• littlebells September 16, 2011 at 6:44 PM #

CR,

Here’s my secret to watching horror movies. I watch them in the middle of the day with the sun glaring into the house! Then it’s not scary! hahaha!!! 😉

• comic relief September 17, 2011 at 1:34 PM #

You know I knew you liked those films, I was just waiting for you to say it.

That’s a great tip; I think I will use it.

7. littlebells September 15, 2011 at 7:44 PM #

Paris,

Is there anything in particular about the directors they enjoy making horror films? Or writers?

• Open Book September 16, 2011 at 4:43 PM #