New Movie HOT SEAT: Captain America

29 Jul

Welcome to New Movie Hot Seat where the last Saturday of the month we review new films that’s opened in theaters in the last two weeks.  We will have a live debate discussing the pros and cons of one of the newly released films, then vote if it’s worth the money.

Last week our viewers selected Captain America: The First Avenger for this Saturday’s New Movie Hot Seat discussion.

Please click here to see trailer

The live debate will begin this Saturday: 7/30/ 2011 @ 3pE/8pUTC

Please join us!

80 Responses to “New Movie HOT SEAT: Captain America”

1. comic relief July 29, 2011 at 1:52 PM #

I’m really happy Captain America turned out to be a decent movie. After writing two articles about the character’s potential, I was more worried about the studio’s end game than the individual movie’s strengths.

Marvel, in their eternal war with DC couldn’t compete for Comic book movie supremacy if they didn’t transform the Avengers into character Gold. Their strategy; make the movie Avengers founding trio, Thor, Ironman and Captain America, (plus or minus a few other characters) into the bedrock of their comic book universe, stir, shake, and mix then keep creating. Why was this necessary, Sony and Fox own the rights to the X-men, Spiderman, Daredevil and the Fantastic Four. The Avengers and a few other properties are all they have left.

Yes, there were a few logical weaknesses with the story, but in the end Joe Johnston did an acceptable job of making us care about the character. And that’s a huge accomplishment with this genre.

2. Littlebells July 29, 2011 at 7:51 PM #

I’m glad you liked it CR! Yes there were some weaknesses but on the whole I think we got some great character development and story. 🙂

• crelief July 30, 2011 at 2:46 PM #

In general I agree you. I’m curious how they will follow up, but as sequel starters or cliff hangers go, they accomplished most of what was necessary.

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:03 PM #

Yes they did.

How did you feel about Chris’s interpretation of the character?

• Open Book July 30, 2011 at 3:08 PM #

I thought he did a great job! He really made me feel for the character. He did not overact given his head was put on another body. I thought the CGI was flawless as CE as the little guy..

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:10 PM #

I think he did too. And from what he said regarding not wanting to take this role, you can tell he took it very seriously. I loved watching his transition as CA in the beginning with all the girls. He’s so dorky and by the end he’s like, ‘Yeah! I’m Captain America!” hahaha!!!! 🙂

3. Open Book July 30, 2011 at 3:04 PM #

Welcome!

Please feel free to jump in and comment if u have seen this film.

4. Open Book July 30, 2011 at 3:05 PM #

I really liked the film overall. It was much better than what I expected.

There were some wardrobe logistic issues that annoyed me. LOL!!

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:07 PM #

which ones? And yes, it was much better than I expected. I liked that the story wasn’t rushed. I liked that we understood it wasn’t about taking a scrawny kid and making him great, but taking something inside (character, morals) and making it greater.

• Open Book July 30, 2011 at 3:11 PM #

Well I thought is was stupid to have the female not where a helmet in combat. Also, CE did not have a military haircut and kept his civilian hairdo throughout the film. That was my big complaint! LOL!!

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:15 PM #

But isn’t that because he wasn’t really IN the military? I don’t know what I’m talking about. And remind me of the scene where she’s not wearing a helmet?

• Open Book July 30, 2011 at 3:25 PM #

CR-

I thought he finally got into the military when he agreed to undergo this experiment.

Also, the scene where they run-in and rescue CA and they are going after Hydra’s in the car. Remember she’s not wearing a helmet?

• crelief July 30, 2011 at 3:12 PM #

LB,

You reminded me how much I was scared this was movie about a scrawny guy who got a muscle makeover. LOL

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:14 PM #

I was worried about that too, so I am really glad they made it a point to make mention of why they chose HIM over everyone else. And yes, I loved when he brought the pole down and got the flag. 🙂

5. Open Book July 30, 2011 at 3:13 PM #

What did u think about the CGI in this film?

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:16 PM #

I thought they did a fantastic job. It didn’t seem hokey at all. It wasn’t over the top, imo.

6. parisienne July 30, 2011 at 3:14 PM #

does the film make history look jokey?

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:18 PM #

No, i don’t think it did. Although I was expecting to see some more action between him and Hydra’s (??) new Nazi soldiers. There really wasn’t much focus on Hitler but on a a fictional character that used to work along side of him.

• Open Book July 30, 2011 at 3:20 PM #

Well it does sort of make history a bit superficial. However, I thought X-Men was far worst then CA in this area!

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:24 PM #

See I didn’t see X-men.

7. parisienne July 30, 2011 at 3:15 PM #

i haven’t seen the film yet but doesn’t it reference hitler or taking down hitler?

• Open Book July 30, 2011 at 3:18 PM #

Yes! It does but it’s not too campy! It really focuses more on the trials of the main character.

• parisienne July 30, 2011 at 3:21 PM #

what was the moral of the story? did you walk away feeling uplifted or just feeling like you had seen a good cgi movie?

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:22 PM #

I wanted to wear my SM cape and hold my CA shield. 🙂

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:21 PM #

Yep, exactly OB, it focused on the development of CA which made it that much better. I really liked seeing how Roger’s genuinely becomes CA. At the end of the film, Mr. Bells was teary eyed and I was like, “Whoa! Are you crying?” He denied it, but I got it out of him. He was teared up because “he never let go of his standards.” And THAT is really what made the movie for me. CA has such high standards and morals and he never gave in. We need characters like that in RL. Morals have just gone down the tubes, imo.

• parisienne July 30, 2011 at 3:24 PM #

true.

8. Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:25 PM #

CR and OB,

What did you think of the ending?

9. Open Book July 30, 2011 at 3:31 PM #

Well here’s where it slowed down or went wrong to me.

I did not like the fact they had no idea what to do with CA after the experiment I thought that was weak. Also, he after getting these super powers is not compelled to go into combat sooner. How come the other soldiers did not get a shield? Yes! They ran out of the super metal CA had but why not give them something to use instead. O.k. that all!!

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:33 PM #

That was my problem too!! haha! And what exactly ARE his super powers? Running fast and jumping far? I’m genuinely asking.

• Open Book July 30, 2011 at 3:35 PM #

Super rejuvenating tissue so he does not get injured.

10. Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:31 PM #

Ok, now I’m going to get technical….so get ready to roll your eyeballs. 🙂

When Peggy shoots at his shield point blank, why do the bullets not rica-shay (sp?) and get her or anyone else? Wouldn’t they bounce off or is that shield supposed to be super absorbent. Yes, yes, I KNOW!!! “Why do you care???” I just do. Sorry. 🙂

• Open Book July 30, 2011 at 3:33 PM #

EXACTLY!! I was thinking the same thing. That’s why I could not accept her not wearing a helmet in combat. I mean was her hair bullet proof?

• parisienne July 30, 2011 at 3:37 PM #

yes it was….she had special hair gel……..LOL

• Open Book July 30, 2011 at 3:43 PM #

LOL!! Love it!

Bad image of dripping stuff from ear lob. Let me erase memory with fields of sunflowers! LOL

• parisienne July 30, 2011 at 3:44 PM #

LOL

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:44 PM #

OB I couldn’t find the clip, but remember “Top Secret” with Val Kilmer? Her hair reminds me of the girls hair after the motorcycle ride and it’s still wind blown after they stop!!! hahahahahahahaha!!!!

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:38 PM #

OMG!!! You just made me think of my favorite movie!!! hold on!!!

• parisienne July 30, 2011 at 3:40 PM #

going to get a cameron diaz clip?

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:34 PM #

richochet. Thank you Paris. 😉

• parisienne July 30, 2011 at 3:36 PM #

your welcome.

• parisienne July 30, 2011 at 3:34 PM #

i saw that part in the trailer and wondered the same thing.

• comic relief July 30, 2011 at 3:37 PM #

Don’t feel bad we can all get anal, (if we want).

I’m going to try to be objective; I’m not sure I like sequel prep films in general ( wink wink). To make sure you knew a sequel was on the way the film employed a secondary climax that was pretty heavy handed.

This was the only use of Samuel Jackson in the entire film. I’m not sure how many academic filmmaking rules this broke, but I won’t say anything else about it.

11. Open Book July 30, 2011 at 3:40 PM #

TBH! I think I liked Thor better then CA. I think the ending for Thor was much more complete. I felt like CA ending was an after thought. It did not gel together well. IMO!!

• parisienne July 30, 2011 at 3:42 PM #

why did it not gel well?

• Open Book July 30, 2011 at 3:50 PM #

The very end he miraculously learns to fly a plane. Also, he really has no plan on how to take out Hydra he just goes after him. I think the ending was rushed especially after it being so well paced at the beginning. I felt like they tried to create a climax with explosions and gunfire and that was a cop out. Does that make sense?

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:57 PM #

Yes, I think the whole ending was rushed too. I was so surprised CA wins because there was no real “fight.”

12. parisienne July 30, 2011 at 3:41 PM #

in your opinion what was the best part of the movie? the storyline, costumes, cinematography, music?

• comic relief July 30, 2011 at 3:44 PM #

Paris earlier you asked if history was handled in a “jokey” manner. Well I think that depends on what you consider “jokey”.

Peggy Carter’s inclusion in the movie as a fully-liberated soldier was hard to stomach. She, the actress, was great but of course hearing her back ground story might have helped make her a more enjoyable character.

Fighting Commandos: Jim Morita (played by Kenneth Choi), and Gabe Jones (played by Derek Luke) was pure fluff since they would have like both been segregated into other units in the real war. I and many others liked these touches yet their appearance did throw me out of the movie for a short minute.

13. ozzie20 July 30, 2011 at 3:43 PM #

Hello? Is anyone still here?

• parisienne July 30, 2011 at 3:43 PM #

hi ozzie!

• comic relief July 30, 2011 at 3:45 PM #

Hi Ozzie!

• ozzie20 July 30, 2011 at 3:48 PM #

Ah, good someone is still here! Hi Paris & CR!

Sorry for missing the meetings. I did send an email but I think I may have sent it to the wrong address. Anyway, another last minute family dinner cropped up.

• Open Book July 30, 2011 at 3:52 PM #

Hi Ozzie!

Nice to see u. Better late than never!

How are U?

• ozzie20 July 30, 2011 at 4:04 PM #

So-so! How are you?

14. parisienne July 30, 2011 at 3:43 PM #

how did CA get his costume?

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:52 PM #

I don’t think we ever found out? Was it through Starks? I must say I did like incorporating Howard Stark into this film. I like how it overlays for Iron Man.

• comic relief July 30, 2011 at 3:57 PM #

Steve said he wanted to make some suggestions regarding the design of the suit. This occurred after the emotional jilted and scorned woman scence where Peggy’s shoots the shield at point blank range (and incidentally does n’t kill anyone or herself).

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:58 PM #

hahahahahaha!!! Thank you CR! I was waiting for your comment about that scene!!!! 🙂 Even Mr. bells couldn’t answer my question!

• comic relief July 30, 2011 at 4:03 PM #

The whole scene was pretty ridiculous. Like I said you can’t explore too hard or the movie might fall apart.

In general it was good but I agree with OB that Thor was better.

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 4:04 PM #

Yeah, sometimes you can’t intellectualize things too much. 🙂

15. Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:49 PM #

OZZZZZZZIE!

• comic relief July 30, 2011 at 3:51 PM #

Speaking of costumes, he had two.

One was for his USO tour show.

That costume resembled the comic book version.

The other had some similarities but had much or more of a functional military feel too it.

• comic relief July 30, 2011 at 3:54 PM #

I think we can agree Evans and crew did a much better job than the previous live action version.

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 3:54 PM #

I take it the last one is the one that we will see in The Avengers movie.

• comic relief July 30, 2011 at 4:01 PM #

Actually he has a new suit for the avengers….

Thor has a new one too, yet it is not pictured.

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 4:02 PM #

Do you like this new one?

• comic relief July 30, 2011 at 4:09 PM #

Yes! I’m sure Ironman’s suit is new too. But it’s had to tell without looking really hard.

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 4:12 PM #

I think Marvel has done a great job building up for The Avengers. They’ve given us some great background!

I like Chris’s outfit too. Doesn’t look so comic booky.

• comic relief July 30, 2011 at 4:14 PM #

LB, I agree.

• comic relief July 30, 2011 at 4:13 PM #

Obviously, that wasn’t what I expected.

16. Open Book July 30, 2011 at 3:56 PM #

Everyone!

I have to go.

But will check back later and answer Q.

Have a nice weekend!

17. parisienne July 30, 2011 at 3:56 PM #

Everyone, I need to get going. Have a good day!

• comic relief July 30, 2011 at 3:58 PM #

Bye everyone.

18. Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 4:03 PM #

Ozzie, we are conferencing….

• ozzie20 July 30, 2011 at 4:08 PM #

Ok, logging on now!

19. Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 4:06 PM #

One last question CR:

Would you recommend this film?

• comic relief July 30, 2011 at 4:11 PM #

Sure. The Avengers will proabably be the bomb (Teaser Trailer above).

• Littlebells July 30, 2011 at 4:14 PM #

Yes I am really excited about it as well. Ok, I need to go too, so talk to you soon!

20. N. Cognito August 12, 2011 at 6:41 AM #

I thought CPT A was cheezy and droll. Not worth the time and expense it takes to drive to the theater, much less the cost of the ticket. Don’t bother waiting for the DVD to come out, just skip watching the film all-together!

• Open Book August 12, 2011 at 12:04 PM #

Welcome! N Cognito….

Love your passion for films.