Captain America: The First Avenger dominated the box office last weekend and with positive reviews by film critics and consumers, how will it do this weekend? Also, opening last weekend in wide release was Friends with Benefits we will see how film critic reviews measure up against consumer reviews on this film. Then let you know if it’s worth the money.
Note: We only review films in wide release.
Captain America: The First Avenger-PG-13 What’s the Buzz? Majority of film critics said this film was not bad. Many praised Marvel and said it’s the best since Iron Man. According to film critic Richard Corliss of Time Magazine states;“On its own, Captain America is a modestly engaging little-big movie in the median range: well below the first Iron Man, somewhat above X-Men: First Class.” What do consumers have to say? The majority of reviews on rottentomatoes.com said this was excellent and loved the WWII nostalgia.  So is it worth the money? Yes!
- Box office rank: #1
- Film Critics Say: Metacritic- 66 Positive, rottentomatoes: 77% (certified fresh)
- Consumers Say: Metacritic- 8.1 Positive, rottentomatoes: 84%
Friends with Benefits: R – What’s the Buzz? According to film critics this film was fun to watch. Many said the success goes to having likable leads who have great on screen presence. What were some of the comments? David Denby of the The New Yorker stated ““Friends with Benefits” is fast, allusive, urban, glamorous—clearly the Zeitgeist winner of the summer (the couple take the no-emotion pledge by laying their hands on a tablet Bible app).” Consumers on metacritic.com said it was surprisingly good. (4] So is it worth the money? Yes!
- Box office rank: #3
- Film Critics Say: Metacritic- 63 Positive, rottentomatoes: 70% (fresh)
- Consumers Say: Metacritic- 7.8 Positive, rottentomatoes: 78%
What’s opening in theaters this weekend?
- Cowboys & Aliens: (latest review results- 42% rottentomatoes)
- Crazy, Stupid, Love: (latest review results- 73% rottentomatoes)
- The Smurfs: (latest review results- 13% rottentomatoes)