Water for Elephants:The Ultimate Escape!

16 Mar

Second in our series on Water for Elephants

By: Open Book

Have you seen many films about the circus in the last decade? Do you know how and why circus films came about in America? The film Water for Elephants, which is based on author Sara Gruen’s #1 New York Times bestselling novel of the same name, opens in theaters April 22nd. So as a tribute to Water for Elephants and old Hollywood, we’d like to revisit the genesis of the nostalgic film genre of the 1930’s and 40’s. As some of you know, Water for Elephants is a depression-era love story and the circus provides the framework.  However, what you may not know, a lot of films produced during the period were about the circus!  So we will examine why circus films were popular and why Water for Elephants is a celebration to the “Golden Age” of cinema.

The timing and release of Water for Elephants could not have been more stalwart. Especially once we come to understand the history behind the era.  You may have heard actor Robert Pattinson (who plays the lead character Jacob in the film) make reference to nostalgic films when describing the film’s origins.[1] Given the film scholar he is, it’s important to illustrate the reason for the answer.

Nostalgia films, is a term used to describe films that put a particular emphasis on the past and reflection of the “glory days.” Now these films primarily span across the mid 1920’s, 30’s and 40’s . One of the common elements of the genre, romanticized events and gave greater significance and attention to “yesteryear.”

Some of the circus films produced during this period were:

• 1924-He Who Gets Slapped
  • 1925-Sally Sawdust
  • 1926-The Devils Circus
  • 1927-The Unknown
  • 1928-Laugh Clown Laugh
  • 1930-Rain or Shine
  • 1932Freaks
  • 1936-The Three Maxiums
  • 1939-At the Circus and You Can’t Cheat an Honest Man
  • 1940The Great Profile
  • 1940-Dumbo
  • 1941-Road Show and The Wagons Roll and Night [2]

There are many more but these films were selected to give you a hint of the magnitude of cirus films produced during the period.  So why were circus films so popular?

In a previous article entitled The History of the Greatest Show on Earth, we discussed how elaborate, competitive and prominent circuses were becoming by the end of the 1920’s in America.  After the First World War circus films were abundant and continued way into the mid 1940’s due to the Second World War. However, what added to the demand was the great depression. Due to the depression, real circus shows were becoming harder to come by. In an article entitled The Most Resilient Show on Earth written by Philip A. Loring he stated, [3]

“The circus industry was unable to emerge so smoothly from the cascade of damage inflicted upon it by the stock market crash of 1929 and the Great Depression. Smaller circuses like the John Robinson Circus, a troupe that had seen 90 yr of circusing closed down altogether.”

Films were used to remember the “good ole days.”  Although Hollywood struggled at the beginning of the depression, they soon began experiencing tremendous growth. The reason why? According to Cornell University’s library and film archives, [4]

“At the height of the Depression 85 million people a week went to the movies, generally paying an admission fee of twenty-five cents (a shiny dime for kids), and most of them went more than once a week.”

During the late 1930’s it was considered the “Golden Age” of Hollywood. The films had become more grand and epic. Considering, circuses could always be relied on for spectacle, audaciousness and grandeur; Hollywood began fabricating the most elaborate and imaginative films to help American’s forget their troubles.  So no wonder films about the circus became so attractive and plentiful during this period.

As you can see, Water for Elephants film will not only be a tribute to the “Golden Age” of cinema but will also be “the ultimate escape” for audiences.

Please join us for a discussion Thursday: March 17th, 2011 @7pE/12UTC

166 Responses to “Water for Elephants:The Ultimate Escape!”

1. in2flix March 16, 2011 at 12:55 PM #

Awesome! I did not know Hollywood made so many films about the circus. I have seen some of the films you referenced in your article. Do you know why they stop making them?

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 7:15 PM #

Welcome!

Good question. The only thing I could conclude is money. They stopped being popular in the 70’s. So I imagine once the economy improved people no longer wanted to be reminded of the past.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 7:20 PM #

Really, science fiction really became popular I say around the 60’s and 70’s. People were looking toward the future and nostalgia circus films were not as popular.

2. Littlebells March 16, 2011 at 2:12 PM #

Nice, Open Book! That makes a lot of sense to make BIG, grand movies to take you away from your troubles. The Depression was horrible. My grandparents married during that time and survival was just that, survival. I can see why people would want to see films that made them “remember when….” and feel good. I think we need more of these movies. Not necessarily to take us back to a better time, but to feel uplifted, warm and fuzzy inside. 🙂

3. Tony S. March 16, 2011 at 3:18 PM #

I believe going to see a film that’s grand and epic makes it worth going to the movie theater today. I don’t think you could get the same feeling of grandeur seeing this kind of film on a small screen. Also, Water 4 Elephants from the trailers, look grand & visually stunning and shows you don’t need a big CGI film to wow the audience. I think many filmmakers have forgtten that today. Good article……

• Littlebells March 16, 2011 at 3:49 PM #

Thank you for bringing up CGI. I don’t mind it, but you know what? You SHOULD be able to watch a movie an d not need special effects to make the movie amazing. I think with the right talent from both director, actor, producer, cinematographer, lighting engineer (you catch my drift), you can take the most simple story and turn it into something quite spectacular. I remember seeing theater productions that didn’t have much in the sense of costumes and sets, but the acting was so perfect, they didn’t need anything else. did that make any sense???? 🙂

• Tony S. March 16, 2011 at 5:00 PM #

Yes! That did make sense. And I agree with you.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 7:23 PM #

Yeah! I don’t mind CGI films either if they don’t overwhelm the story or actors. I really like CGI when it enhances the performances rather detract from them.

• kim March 17, 2011 at 7:59 PM #

See I think Hollywood finds something new and they milk it until it doesn’t give any more. CGI, 3D, sci-fi movies, action movies, superhero movies, etc.

Sometimes they need to go back to look at what is old and make it new again. I think that WFE, may be the beginning of the next new trend.

4. ozzie20 March 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM #

Great article Open Book! I didn’t know there were so many circus films either. I agree with the escapism reason as I do it myself! I love to watch a movie and forget about my worries for a few hours.

I agree with Tony S. and Littlebells comments too!

5. Open Book March 16, 2011 at 10:39 PM #

Wow! I missed a great discussion today….

All of u touched on a lot subjects that inspired me to write about this topic. Also, my love of old Hollywood films and after I heard WFE had that “nostalgic factor.” I thought hmmm! I have not seen HW produce many circus films in the last decade. Plus, there are many ways F. Lawrence could have cheapened this story and took various shortcuts and artistic license’s etc… Yet! It looks like he really respected the source material and managed to make a truly authentic old Hollywood film that deserves to be recognized.IMO!!

6. Open Book March 17, 2011 at 6:57 PM #

Welcome! Visitors to our discussion tonight. Please feel free to jump in and join us!

7. Lurker March 17, 2011 at 7:03 PM #

Wow, great article.

I looked up all the movies you mentioned and some big names – Lon Chaney, Humphrey Bogart, Eddie Albert.

A number of wayward clown movies too!

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 7:16 PM #

Hi!

Yep, The Lon Chaney films are my favorites. Have u seen any of these films?

• Lurker March 17, 2011 at 7:23 PM #

Unfortunately just Dumbo. Standard Disney fare.
        Some of these look pretty interesting.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 7:27 PM #

That’s o.k. I like Dumbo too!! I love Sara Gruen’s quote in her book at the very beginning. “I meant what I said, and I said what I meant…

Do u know what I’m talking about? Can u finish the last phrase?

• Lurker March 17, 2011 at 7:29 PM #

An elephant’s faithful, 100%

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 7:30 PM #

HA!!! HA!! HA!!

• Littlebells March 17, 2011 at 7:36 PM #

I love Dumbo!!!! My daughter loves that ride so much too.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 7:37 PM #

Hi Littlebells!

How are u feeling? Nice u could join us.

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:00 PM #

Sadly, that is the one ride at Walt Disney World that has always been down, every time I have gone. I love Dumbo and I really want to go on that ride. Maybe some day. (Sorry off topic).

8. Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 7:33 PM #

Hi Everyone!

Sorry i’m late. 🙂

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 7:33 PM #

No problem!!

9. Open Book March 17, 2011 at 7:33 PM #

Do u think WFE is timing and release is good. I mean with so many remakes, prequels and sequels. This is quite refreshing. What are your thoughts?

• Lurker March 17, 2011 at 7:37 PM #

I think for the adult movie-goer this is great timing.
      Most people are still trying to see some of the Oscar winners. I think it fills an important slot before the Summer season blockbuster movies.
      Great weekend for release – Easter weekend.
      Maybe I’ll be able to get to see my Mom and take her to see it.

• Littlebells March 17, 2011 at 7:39 PM #

Exactly, what a perfect film for families to see together on that weekend. I can’t tell you enough how excited I am for this film!!!!

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 7:40 PM #

I agree! I believe it will be a treat for adults but also for a young adults as well. Yes, Easter Sunday is perfect.

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:03 PM #

I agree the timing is actually really good, right before the Summer blockbuster movies. Plus, spring is in the air and with spring comes love. I know WFE is more than a love story, but it fits perfect with spring.

Love, a coming of age, epic movie perfect for spring.

• Littlebells March 17, 2011 at 7:38 PM #

I think it’s great because what other movies are coming out that have such Old Hollywood flair and quality? It’s so different from other films coming out and from just the previews alone, there is such emotion. I have talked to so many people who have been deeply moved and compelled to see this movie because of the trailers.

• Lurker March 17, 2011 at 7:41 PM #

It doesn’t hurt that this book was a best seller a few years ago, was on Oprah’s reading list (that’s how I found it). So there are plenty of people who read the story years ago that might enjoy seeing it at the theater.

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 7:45 PM #

Was it on Oprah’s Readers’s list? I don’t remember.

• Lurker March 17, 2011 at 7:50 PM #

Yes in 2007

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 7:59 PM #

oh….i wasn’t paying to much to her list then. the only thing that i read of her list so far is the reader.

• Lurker March 17, 2011 at 8:03 PM #

I am actually reading another book from her list The story of Edgar Sawtelle. A period piece, quite heart wrenching. Very good so far.

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:05 PM #

The only book that I read beside WFE, which I didn’t know was on the Oprah list was East of Eden, which was a great classic. OOOH someone should remake that into a epic type movie.

• Lurker March 17, 2011 at 8:08 PM #

I usually check out Oprah’s list before I go on vacation so I can buy more books than my clothes weigh. That’s my typical vacation.

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:14 PM #

HAHAHA at least you don’t do what I did buy so many books while on vacation that I cause the weight of the luggage to go up and hurt myself. That was before I was gifted my Nook. I would still do that if I return to England but I will ship them home now.

But yeah I usually take 3/4 books to read. Sadly, my family thinks I’m unsociable when I do this, but that is why its a vacation.

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:04 PM #

It has been on the Barnes and Nobles most bought for the Nook list for weeks. So the book is still really popular.

10. Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 7:40 PM #

I remember my grandparents used to have satellite t.v. and there would be a channel called the nostalgia channel that only played films from the 20’s, 30’s and 40’s. That’s all my grandparents would watch. Every night. Needless to say I became addicted to them. 🙂

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 7:42 PM #

Hmm! I think were related? Ha!!! Ha!!

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 7:43 PM #

LOL who knows..????? 🙂

11. Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 7:41 PM #

I can’t wait for WFE. 🙂

12. Open Book March 17, 2011 at 7:46 PM #

I personally think it’s a smart and bold move of the filmmaker, studio and actors involved. I love the fact they are not following the trends yet, still giving audiences an epic film and rich story. This to me is real artistry and forward thinking, yet relying on a nostalgic film genre to do it is brilliant.IMO!!

13. Open Book March 17, 2011 at 7:48 PM #

Paris and Littlebells!

Have u seen any of the films I mentioned in my article? If so which one was your favorite?

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 7:54 PM #

Not yet. probably won’t get to the movies until next week.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 7:57 PM #

That’s o.k it’s been awhile for me too. I could probably stand to go with u. LOL!!

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 7:58 PM #

LOL I wanted to see The Rite because I love Anthony Hopkins but its not playing anymore.

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:07 PM #

I heard that was a really good movie.

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 8:08 PM #

I did too.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 8:12 PM #

When did the film come out?

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:15 PM #

Back in January. I remember when I was working that my boss, told me to go see it. She went to the movies a lot.

• Littlebells March 17, 2011 at 8:31 PM #

No, but I’m going to put them on my netflix! Thank, OP, I am feeling much, MUCH better!

I actually read Edgar Sawtelle. it took e a while to get into it, but I did enjoy it.

14. Open Book March 17, 2011 at 7:51 PM #

I really like the production design of the film. It’s very authentic. Visually, what are u looking forward to the most. Costumes, production design, cinematography? All of the above?

• Lurker March 17, 2011 at 7:53 PM #

Me – Cinematography. The one shot in the trailer where its dark and they show the entrance wih the blue tents. It’s incredible. I can only guess what awaits.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 7:55 PM #

I’m shocked!! I thought for sure u would say costumes?? My hearts broken!!

• Lurker March 17, 2011 at 8:00 PM #

Well given what I’ve seen so far, I don’t think the trailers give you much of a tease.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 8:04 PM #

Yes! They do. The really beautiful 30’s bias cut red dress. I’m sure its silk crepe back satin or charmeuse. It’s too late u blew it!! LOL!

• Lurker March 17, 2011 at 8:06 PM #

The trailer only shows a piece of it, at least I didn’t inspect the trailer for minute details. I need to see the whole thing!
              Looks like a crepe back satin, I agree.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 8:11 PM #

LOL!! This is funny. I will stop grilling u. LOL!!

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 7:56 PM #

The cinematography and the animals.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 7:58 PM #

U too!! Pure Betrayal!! LOL!!

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 7:58 PM #

OK…costumes????? LOL

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 8:01 PM #

anything Rob is wearing. Lol

• Lurker March 17, 2011 at 8:04 PM #

LOL the hand made wool tuxedos?

• Lurker March 17, 2011 at 8:00 PM #

Ok – the men’s suits.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 8:09 PM #

Yes! The mens tuxedos during this period are very nice. I love men in suspenders during this period also. O.k. u guys have redeemed yourselves. LOL!!

• Lurker March 17, 2011 at 8:12 PM #

I wish men would go back to wearing vests on occasion. They can be quite classy when worn right.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 8:15 PM #

I know I love the vest back then they were very structured. I love the single welt 4 pockets vest.

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:27 PM #

See my hubby wears a vest when he wears his suit. Again, weddings, funerals, times. We need to go out more were he dresses up.

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:18 PM #

You say suspenders and I actually thought of my hubby. He has a suit with suspenders and looks so good in it. We have to find somewhere to go with a tux for him to wear.

I have to say though I love Reese’s wardrobe in this movie.

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:08 PM #

I have to say all of the above, but I do agree the cinematography looks like it is going to play really well on the big screen.

• ozzie20 March 17, 2011 at 8:16 PM #

Hello all!

I’m going to have to go with cinematography followed closely by the circus costumes and animals! It’s hardly to say really because it seems like an all rounder to me. It seems to hit every thing a good movie needs.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 8:25 PM #

I ultimately agree with u Ozzie. I was giving these ladies a hard time for fun. LOL!! I think the sign of a good production designer is when everything visually works together to transport the audience flawlessly. I think if u notice something too much than it’s bad. Everything has to all work together cinematography, costumes, set, lighting etc..

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:29 PM #

I would agree. There haven’t been many movies lately that I have seen that have really transported me to that time and place. I would have to say Titanic was probably the last movie that did that.

That is probably why I can’t wait for WFE, I am really looking for that transportation to a different time and place, forget my worries at the door and enjoy the show.

• Littlebells March 17, 2011 at 8:35 PM #

Yeah, me too. I can’t pick just one thing! And I have this weird obsession with the 30s. I love the art deco, hair styles, clothing…..I loved how classy a woman could be. I am truly just looking forward to all my senses going into major, MU-HAJOR, overdrive. Honestly, I want it to end and be thinking, “NOoooooo!!!! It has to keep going!!!!” haha! 🙂

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:37 PM #

See that to me is a sign of a good movie or even a good book when you don’t want it to end.

I think that is one reason I like old HW, it was such a different time and seemed really classy.

15. Open Book March 17, 2011 at 8:00 PM #

O.K. Littlebells! What are u looking to see the most? Hint!! Costumes? No pressure!!

• Littlebells March 17, 2011 at 8:36 PM #

Well since I’m such a 30’s freak of nature and I loved dressing up, I’ll go with costumes. Just for you. 😉

16. Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 8:03 PM #

does anyone know why Reese learned trapeze work for the film? I didn’t think Marlena did anything on the trapeze.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 8:06 PM #

I don’t know!! Maybe because she had to ride Rosie and be lifted by her etc… I’m guessing?

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 8:07 PM #

maybe. or maybe its for the scene where Marlena hurts her feet?

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 8:09 PM #

Oh! great point!!

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:11 PM #

That’s what I was thinking too. I did hear she went to circus school and work with the trapeze. I would think getting on top of the elephant and doing all the horse tricks.

Has anyone rode an elephant? I have, when I was younger. My grandmother was so nervous she went with me. I still remember it. It was incredible to be so far up and the way they sway. A great memory.

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 8:14 PM #

No I haven’t. From reading Reese’s article she says their hairs are like needles being shoved into your legs.

• ozzie20 March 17, 2011 at 8:18 PM #

I’m sure I read that she went to trapeze school. I think she’s learnt the majority of the stunts, well the ones that aren’t too dangerous!

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 8:20 PM #

Wow! That must have been painful for her because her costume really does not provide her with much protection from the elephants hairs. What a trooper Reese is!!

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 8:22 PM #

She did mention that she had no protection.

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:21 PM #

Well I don’t remember that, but I was sitting on a blanket or something. At least I had a better time riding the elephant than riding a horse that I have done in the past. The time I went horse back riding the horse laid down with me on top, good thing I moved quickly enough before getting crushed. I love horses but that was enough to freak me out.

17. Open Book March 17, 2011 at 8:18 PM #

They seem to have really stayed close to the source material. What scene of the film are u looking forward to the most?

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:22 PM #

That is a tough question because I loved everything about this book and what I have seen so far. If I had to pick would be the interaction btwn Rob (Jacob) and Tia (Rosie)

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 8:30 PM #

My favorite scene would be……the stampede.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 8:35 PM #

Yes!! That scene and the crowd, tent and train car scenes. Those trains are amazing!!

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 8:38 PM #

The scene where Jacob has the knife in his mouth and is jumping the cars.

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:40 PM #

Or how but when Jacob is confronted and beat up by August.

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 8:47 PM #

that’s true. i like when jacob takes marlena to the hotel room for her safety. you can feel the tension. oy.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 8:30 PM #

I think I’m looking forward to the scene when Jacob first meets Marlena.

Followed closely by Marlena’s and Silver Stars show.

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 8:34 PM #

or the scene where auggie throws rancid meat to the lion and tricks jacob into feeding it.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 8:37 PM #

Oh! That one by far is the greatest. I forgot about that one. O.k. that’s goes to the top of the list.

• ozzie20 March 17, 2011 at 8:39 PM #

Me too and for some odd reason the sweeping shot of the circus being put up. Whenever I watch the trailer that’s the first thing that gives me goosebumps.

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:41 PM #

I think a hard scene to watch will be when Jacob has to identify his parents.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 8:43 PM #

Sorry! Ozzie disregard my message below.

Great answer I love the tent scenes as well.

• ozzie20 March 17, 2011 at 8:50 PM #

I added to my list down below anyway!

• Littlebells March 17, 2011 at 8:38 PM #

Gosh I am so unimaginative. Honestly, I am looking forward to every aspect. Seriously, I loved the entire story from start to finish, so the minute the previews are over and the movie starts, I’ll probably start crying thinking how great the opening 5 seconds are. hahaha! 🙂

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 8:38 PM #

lol.

• ozzie20 March 17, 2011 at 8:45 PM #

That will be me to Littlebells. I always tear up if something is beautifully shot. I’m usually in awe too.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 8:53 PM #

Littlebells,

I think the scene when Jacob looses his parents will cause me to tear up. I did while reading the beginning of the book. I thought how gut wrenching, what’s going to happen to the poor guy now?

18. kim March 17, 2011 at 8:25 PM #

Oh by the way “hi” everyone sorry I was late too. I just jumped in. Great article and great topic OB. I love the old Hollywood movies too. I use to watch them all the time growing up. I haven’t watched one in a long time, since no one else in the house will watch one with me. I have a list that someone gave me when I was working, he was really into old movies, that he advised me to watch. Its in my pile of to do.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 8:41 PM #

That’s o.k. Kim. Better late than never!!

What is it about Tai and Jacob u think will be the funniest scene?

Lurker, Ozzie and Littlebells what scene are u looking forward to the most?

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:44 PM #

The lemonade scene and the garden scene were Jacob has to get her to come back to the circus. I actually can’t wait to hear Rob speak Polish to her.

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 8:46 PM #

have you heard him say “lift your leg.” in polish? Nadies poges…..omg.

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:48 PM #

Yeah I have.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 8:48 PM #

No! U know I was quite impressed by R’s american accent in the film. Then on top of that speaking Polish also. Wow!!

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:52 PM #

Yeah my Polish is very limited. But when I heard his voice over in the one WFE trailer, I was shocked that it was him. I didn’t even recognize his voice.

Of course, he’s one of those actors that I forget that he has a really accent until I hear him in an interview. Then its oh right he’s not American. I do that with Simon Baker, Hugh Jackman and some others.

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 8:55 PM #

he sounds like brad pitt, imo.

• ozzie20 March 17, 2011 at 9:01 PM #

Well, not being American I thought he did very well. I thought it was Hal at first, then he came on the screen and I was like “OMG, I can’t believe it’s Rob speaking!”

• ozzie20 March 17, 2011 at 8:48 PM #

Oh yes, Jacob speaking Polish and any of the scenes when he’s on top of the train cars too.

Lol, I think I’m going to have to say the whole thing by the end of the discussion because everyone keeps mentioning scenes I want to see!

• Lurker March 17, 2011 at 8:51 PM #

Oh I’m really having to think on this one. Probably when they first meet Rosie and Jacob learns how to get her to do tricks.

Followed closely by anything with the trains and tents.
        I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Circus tent be raised.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 8:58 PM #

See, I’m with u I think the trains and circus tents are amazing. I’ve only seen a circus tent raised once. It was really great to witness.

I have seen these old train cars in PA. They are quite similar to the one in the film. They are gorgeous inside.

• Lurker March 17, 2011 at 9:07 PM #

I have to admit, I am anxious to see Hal Holbrook!

19. kim March 17, 2011 at 8:42 PM #

Its funny but the circus is coming to town at the end of this month and begin of next. I actually got excited that the circus was coming to town and then I remembered I didn’t have anyone to take.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 8:46 PM #

I don’t think I’ve been to see a real circus in years. I have been to cirque shows in vegas though.

• kim March 17, 2011 at 8:49 PM #

See those cirque shows don’t interest me at all. I haven’t been to a circus for at least 10 years.

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 8:52 PM #

omg vegas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 8:53 PM #

you know what i found disheartening about the book and this is the only flaw i could find. she didn’t put the english translations of the polish sentences/words she used in the book.

• kim March 17, 2011 at 9:01 PM #

Yeah I really hate when authors do that. Funny story, I use to read a lot of Danielle Steele books (I know fluff, but anyway) she uses French in her books at times, but doesn’t put the translation in the books. Well, whenever I read the French I would skip it. When I read “oui” I didn’t think that was sounded as “we” meaning yes, I thought it was “oye” didn’t know what it meant. My youngest son has been learning French since the 3rd grade. One day a couple years ago I asked him what a particular sentence was in French and it had “oye” in it. He told me that it was “we” meaning “yes” and I was stunned.

That is the problem when authors don’t put translations in their books, people will skip over it and sometimes miss important parts of the story.

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 9:08 PM #

I agree. I even tried to look up the words online but couldn’t find them.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 9:02 PM #

Hmm! I have to look and see. I did not notice that.

21. kim March 17, 2011 at 8:56 PM #

I already know that I will have to see this movie more than once in the theater, because I will be missing stuff. I don’t really ever go to see a movie more than once in a theater, ever. The last time was Titanic and before that was Grease (that was when I was young and had my parent’s money to go to the movies over and over. I saw it 10x when it came out, never have done that since).

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 8:57 PM #

I saw Twilight 11x

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 9:00 PM #

I think u are in the minority Paris!! I’m sure u look like a slacker to some Twihards.

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 9:03 PM #

The only reason i did was because i got to go for free and i was hooked on the books.

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 9:03 PM #

first time i saw twilight i hated it.

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 9:04 PM #

I thought it was sweet that they had a main character that was mentally slow. I swear I thought she was supposed to be mentally challenged.

• kim March 17, 2011 at 9:07 PM #

LOL! I am not going to touch that comment with a ten foot pole, thank you.

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 9:09 PM #

but i did i swear. then i read the book and i was mad.

• Littlebells March 17, 2011 at 10:57 PM #

hahahahahaha! I love that comment! 🙂

• Lurker March 17, 2011 at 9:13 PM #

I think i’m the odd-ball. I didn’t pay to see Twilight, New Moon or Eclipse in the movie theatre.
          It was on Showtime when I caught up.

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 9:16 PM #

wow. my dad did that with twilight. i got called every 5 min. “why can’t he go to the beach?” “what does the treaty mean?” did you ever notice Rob’s ears are red in the movie? they stopped appyling the makeup.

• ozzie20 March 17, 2011 at 9:19 PM #

I’ve only read the books and have no intention of watching the movies! By time I read them, the movies were ruined by a few thing which I shall not say but I think you all know what I’m talking about! 🙂

• Littlebells March 17, 2011 at 11:01 PM #

hahahahaha! Again I love the comment. 🙂

• kim March 17, 2011 at 9:20 PM #

The only reason I saw Twilight in the theater was because I saw it before New Moon, when New Moon came out. Only have seen each of these movies once in the theater and less than a handful of times total at home even though I own them.

Oh wait I did see Eclipse 2x once at the midnight showing and the other time in Imax.

• Lurker March 17, 2011 at 8:59 PM #

The only movie have ever been to see more than once was the Friday Midnight “Rocky Horror Picture Show” It was a weekend ritual.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 9:04 PM #

I saw the Matrix 15x’s. LOL!!

I’ve seen Inception 5x’s.

I saw Memento 8x’s

• Lurker March 17, 2011 at 9:05 PM #

You paid for tickets to see those movies that many times? OMG.

Now, movies I have bought and replayed a number of times I have at home.

But no, I only pay once.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 9:12 PM #

No! I paid to see the Matrix 5 x’s, the rest I did not pay for. LOL!!

However, I will see a film in theaters twice. Then watch them on DVD or on demand. I really like watching the behind the scenes.

• kim March 17, 2011 at 9:08 PM #

Wait you didn’t see those in LA, did you bc the ticket prices are outrageous from what I hear in LA.

• ozzie20 March 17, 2011 at 9:05 PM #

I haven’t seen any movie more than once at the cinema. DVDs are another matter! They’re often on repeat for a long time before I get sick of them.

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 9:06 PM #

omg i’m like that now with A Walk to Remember. I think i’m going to wear it out.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 9:23 PM #

I watch a lot of films. I could say it’s for work but not always. LOL!

But yeah I do watch a lot of the films multiple times at home.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 9:07 PM #

The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I’ve seen about 3x’s.

It’s bad I have to see a film I like at least twice.

22. Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 9:02 PM #

Rob speaks polish at the very beginning of the clip.

• kim March 17, 2011 at 9:04 PM #

I remember that interview. He was so cute and embarrassed when he realized what he said to the interviewer may have been inappropriate.

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 9:05 PM #

LOL i know.

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 9:08 PM #

Do u know what he was saying?

• kim March 17, 2011 at 9:11 PM #

He was saying “lift your leg” to the female interviewer and when he realizes what he just said to the young interviewer he was embarrassed and apologizes.

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 9:11 PM #

He’s sayiing “Lift your leg up.”

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 9:15 PM #

Poor guy!! U have to admit that is funny.

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 9:17 PM #

yeah it was. but the only words are know are “give me a kiss.”

• ozzie20 March 17, 2011 at 9:21 PM #

I haven’t seen him speak Polish. Thanks for posting the video!

23. Open Book March 17, 2011 at 9:16 PM #

Well everyone do u have any final questions we have five more minutes?

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 9:18 PM #

nope but it was great fun talking to everyone!

• Parisienne March 17, 2011 at 9:18 PM #

have a good night!

• Open Book March 17, 2011 at 9:20 PM #

U too!! Thanks for joining us!!

Goodnight!!

• Lurker March 17, 2011 at 9:22 PM #

I have nothing else tonight!
            Thanks everyone.

• ozzie20 March 17, 2011 at 9:36 PM #

Night all!

24. kim March 17, 2011 at 9:23 PM #

Great conversation. I look forward to our next topic.

Talk to everyone soon.