Over the course of the novel Cosmopolis, we encounter many female characters that are crucial to the story and in the interactions with the novel’s main character Eric Packer. Watching female actors discuss what it takes to be successful in Hollywood, we often hear there is a lack of really good female parts. In reading this story, there are 5 characters, which provide significant influence over Eric Packer and are all female. Sometimes there are attempts by fans to influence particular actors for parts in movies. We want to take a different approach and discuss these characters in an arch of what they embody and visually what they need to project in order to be successful in delivery of the character.
By reading the story we encounter the following female characters. I’ve listed some attributes from the story of each of them.
- Didi Fancher, age 47, art dealer, blonde, has significant influence, taught him about art.
- Jane Melman, Chief Financial officer Packer Capital. She’s his trusted adviser and a like mind. single mom, competent, runner
- Elise Shifrin, wife of 22 days, poet, vulnerable, aloof
- Kendra Hayes, bodyguard, new, powerful, confident
- Vija Kinski, Chief of Theory Packer capital, gray hair represents wisdom, older, helps him understand the philosophical implications.
Let’s discuss what you want to see projected and not so much as actress examples, but examples of what these women have to do to convince you they understand their character. I’m also certain I might have missed some specific details on each of these, so please feel free to add in your comments!
Discussion tonight, January 27th, 7pm
 Reference another article on the same topic. http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/bshapiro/2011/01/27/hollywood-has-a-woman-problem/