By Open Book
As we prepare for the live red carpet event for Water for Elephants on Sunday, April 17th @ 5pE. We’d like to have a little fun. So here’s a trivia game to see how much you know about Sara Gruen’s novel, the 1930’s and the making of the film Water for Elephants. We have put together 10 questions for you to answer. Also, over the last six weeks we have featured a (series of articles referenced in red) highlighting Water for Elephants that might be of assistance. We would love to see how much you know, so give it a try! Good Luck~
So how well did you do? Here are the Answers to the WFE Trivia Questions. If you got five correct you are AMAZING! So give yourself a round of applause and thanks for playing along.
1. In the novel, what year did the Benzini Brothers: Most Spectacular Show on Earth collapse?
1. Answer: 1928 pg. 77
2. Why did the Benzini Brothers circus collapse?
2. Answer: Benzini Bros. simply ran out of money and could not make the jump to the next town. Pg. 77
3. Director Francis Lawrence merged one of the lead characters in the film with another prominent character in the book. Of the three main characters Jacob, Marlena and August, who did he select, what prominent character in the book did he choose to merge (with one of the leads) and why?
3. Answer: He merged Uncle Al with August in order to empower August’s character. (Please see reference)
4. What’s the first book of Kinko’s Jacob decides to pick up in the novel?
4. Answer: The Complete works of Shakespeare Pg. 81
5. What was costume designer’s Jacqueline West favorite costume of Marlena’s?
5. Answer: The black satin evening gown. (Please see reference)
6. When did circus films become popular in America and why?
6. Answer: After WWI they became popular because real circuses were becoming extinct due to the depression.
7. What famous movie star of the 1930’s inspired the look for Marlena in the film?
7. Answer: Jean Harlow, Carole Lombard & Greta Garbo (Please see reference)
8. What’s the name of the elephant sanctuary where Tai comes from?
8. Answer: Have trunk will travel.
9. What type of clown was Emmet Kelly most famous for and why?
9. Answer: The tramp clown is what he’s best known for due to the depression.
10. In the novel, what name did Jacob see painted underneath the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth train car?
10. Answer: Christy Bros. Circus pg. 91
The answers will be given out on: Sunday, April 17th, 2011@4pE.