Some may have seen the recent cover of the July issue of Gentlemans’ Quarterly or GQ magazine. It features Kate Upton in a bikini enjoying an ice cream. This may seem fairly innocent but the ice cream and gesture of Upton further demonstrates how women are sexualized and marginalized in the media. In this article we will look into what defines a gentleman and how should society respond to the medias continued negative assault on woman.
Given the word Gentleman (and I use that word loosely) is what GQ magazine prides itself for being. Their mantra is “look sharp and live smart.” Really? Hmm! We thought we look at a few definitions of the word gentleman and see if they can claim to live up to those standards.
- (1) : a man who combines gentle birth or rank with chivalrous qualities (2) : a man whose conduct conforms to a high standard of propriety or correct behavior.
- 1. A man of calm demeanor, strong preserve, intellectual thinking, polite yet meaningful speak and a good upbringing. A fighter for the cause of right with words, not guns.
- 2. A man who considers the feelings of the people around him and makes them as comfortable as he is able.
- 3. Something very rare today. A man who is respectful and considerate of those around him. Acts politely. Treats women with respect. Open doors for them, pulls out chairs, and is classy. What more guys should be. Because regardless of what your testosterone driven buddies tell you, treating people with respect and being polite doesn’t make you a “fag” or “wimp” or whatever. It makes you a good person and will really benefit you in life.
- 1 a chivalrous, courteous, or honourable man:
- he behaved throughout like a perfect gentleman
Granted it takes two to turn things around. However, women’s rights are still far from equal to men’s today. The media continues to be the arsenal used to dismantle woman psychologically. That’s why it’s up to women to resist internalizing the negative images being fed to them by the media to find their value within.
After reading a few of these definitions it makes you wonder? Should GQ change its name? If so what new name would you give them?
Please join us for a discussion Tuesday 7/3/2012@7pmE/12UTC