Crisis of Credibility: The New Wonder Woman

2 May

Please welcome another article from guest writer:

By Comic Relief

Many who have heard of developments for a Wonder Woman TV show must be wondering what the show is about?  Those familiar with the comic’s character, if not the fairly unknown actress Adrianne Palicki, probably assume it stars Themysciran or Paradise Island’s Amazon Princess in her super powered adventures.  For many whom have heard the showed called a remake or reissue of the original Linda Carter T.V. series of the 1970’s may not be wrong. Yet all should know the character embraces many of the contradictions experienced by women in our contemporary world outside of comics.  So yes, expect some social controversy. And understand that this controversy is one of the reasons so many are predicting this NBC show will fail royally with audiences.

To recount some of the more controversial aspects of the show’s genesis, Producer David E. Kelley originally expressed interest in the project less than a year ago.  To his credit, (despite occasional public bouts of ambivalence and under confidence) the wildly successful TV powerhouse (L.A. Law, Doogie Howser, M.D., Picket Fences, Ally McBeal, The Practice, Boston Legal, etc.) has remained committed to the project.  His take on the character is unorthodox yet his instincts have been flawless in terms of past TV shows.[1] His commitment has been steady regardless of some turbulence pertaining to NBC’s changing programming interests and frankly changing studio heads.[2]  Regarding this character, get used to this changing leadership topic because you will keep hearing this theme throughout this article.

Once the longest reigning NBC studio head Ron Meyer’s boss, NBC Universal Chief Executive Steve Burke was installed verification that the character would be seen on screen in the fall was assured.   But this struggle for visibility is only one of the contemporary stories; audiences should review to know more about the character’s battle for a contemporary audience.

A creation of William Moulton Marston the character first appeared in All Star Comics #8 of December 1941.  Since then Wonder Woman has built an audience that has lasted seventy years.  Yet despite her obvious seniority in the super hero community, she’s the same age as Captain America, she’s nearly as old as Batman and Superman, and she is far older than Spiderman, Thor or The Hulk.  Surprisingly she has unbelievably little to show for it.  In the super hero community an indicator of character status is how many books the character has. Wonder Woman has only one monthly title.[3]  Most of the characters I just mentioned earlier have at least three, not counting books where they are part of a large ensemble cast of other super heroes.

Why is this?  Company heads at DC Comics a subsidiary of Warner Communications, and many vehement fans will tell you that despite her wondrous longevity, her books don’t frequently sale well and she has fended off cancellation far more often than she should have.   Therefore the excuse is she hasn’t yet EARNED presentation in more than one book.  Though sells should determine presentation, this thinking is very shortsighted.  Yes Batman and Superman may have performed better sales wise in this media environment that satisfies the appetites of a young male audience, but prestige isn’t purely an issue of earnings as much as it’s an issue of sustainable potential as well.  A character that can last 70 plus years can claim to be able to last at least twice that long also.  Female super hero wise Wonder woman really doesn’t have any competition regarding her track record in sales and or longevity.

In a market recently overwhelmed by the popularity of the Twilight series, Warner brothers must be able to do more to satisfy female comic reading audiences.  Here are some ideas.  In the early 70’s, both DC and it’s bitter rival Marvel comics used to produce anthology comics that might be headlined by one hero yet would frequently feature other stories featuring other characters.  One influence many of the earlier super heroes have because of their multiple books is their supporting casts and protégés frequently have books as well.  Many may not know the Wonder Woman of the 40’s has been rationalized in comics as being the mother of the present one; in this way she is another character to exploit with new adventures.  Like most other wildly popular superheroes, most of these characters have sidekicks they mentor.  Like Batman has Robin, Wonder Woman has at least two generations of Wonder girl sidekicks. And if this speculative exercise isn’t enough in the sixties and seventies as well as today, many comics are not super hero driven. Many feature war, detective, horror, and other themes scene in the cinemas.  I believe another or new Wonder Woman comic book could reestablish the romance comics of old.[4]  These books could even feature or guest feature popular actors like Robert Pattison and Taylor Lautner who are staples of the Teen beat market and an incredible number of websites.  Before you laugh both have appeared in their own self-titled comics already.[5]  But all of these ideas concern the character’s status in comics, recent events in Hollywood shed light on how frequently and often we are likely to see the character in the near future.

Speaking of the real world Hollywood again, recently hired and interviewed President of Warner Brothers Motion Pictures Division in Los Angeles, Jeffery Robinov recently spoke about the use of DC characters in regard to the Studio’s production of feature films.[6]  He claims that multiple Wonder Women might likely appear in different movies (her movie and a Justice League feature), and weekly TV shows concurrently.  Though many fanboy’s hate the fact that this might likely mean different actresses playing the character, in terms of prestige the change in tone is clearly a big improvement for the Amazon Princess.  Until these events unfold we may have to hope the TV series is good, unlike an attempt at reissuing the Bionic Woman, and hope it lasts on air at least a season of two.

Please join us for a discussion: Tuesday 5/3/2011@7pE/12UTC

[2] To learn more about Wonder Woman’s struggle for network visibility please see http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/nbc-picks-up-david-e-kelleys-wonder-woman-michael-patrick-kings-drama/

[3] For more on the history of romance comics please see http://www.jennymiller.com/romancecomics/

[6] For Jeffery Robinov’s vision for DC comics characters casting please see http://www.movieline.com/syndication.php?vaid=46a8a5d06e57c1a2a33d9ac49101dd02

157 Responses to “Crisis of Credibility: The New Wonder Woman”

1. Littlebells May 2, 2011 at 10:50 AM #

That was a terrific article, CR! Wow, it completely slipped my mind how old WW is. Can’t wait for the discussion! And sorry, I did laugh when you mentioned Rob and Taylor making an appearance. No, just NO! :)

• Littlebells May 2, 2011 at 10:53 AM #

just watched the video:

1) I’m beginning to like the costume a bit more and

2) I kept asking myself why the Celebrity Apprentice van was there!!! hahaha!

• Lurker May 2, 2011 at 11:24 AM #

I like the costume changes. The pants are great.

I also think that WW doesn’t have as big a female following because its STILL not considered cool to be a female with power. Men still want a submissive female and WW goes against the grain. How else to do you rationalize Disney programming with Cinderella, Snow White Sleeping Beauty and even Barbie.
        None of these characters have ‘jobs’ or live in real world America and certainly they all are waiting for the Prince to rescue them instead of doing it for themselves.
        So while Disney sells this ideal image of fantasy, real world women are WW and supermoms. No men I have ever met likes seeing a female in control situation.
        I grew up watching Lynda Carter on TV and it was a strong message to have a beautiful powerful woman very contradictory to the Disney/Barbie image.

• comic relief May 2, 2011 at 12:39 PM #

Lurker,

Those are really great comments. I was wondering what women thought, and thought this site was a great place to find out. She’s such a great and (longevity wise) mature character; it’s really hard to believe she could have lasted this long with people, as you say, so uncomfortable with powerful women.

• Lurker May 2, 2011 at 12:50 PM #

Well if you think about the imagery of Twilight…what happens to Bella outside of the concept of the vampire situation?

She is rescued by Edward and they get married. He’s rich smart educated, therefore, he can ‘take care of her’.

There is no imagery of Bella getting a full-time job and paying a mortgage. Thus they have perpetuated the same
            fantasy that Disney pushes.

• Littlebells May 2, 2011 at 2:12 PM #

Lurker, I really like your comments. I think you are very right. I loved Lynda Carter (as you know). I felt she really made WW strong while still being feminine and nurturing. I don’t like women being weak. We can be soft and delicate but also know when to take the bull by the horns and get business done. I don’t think there is anything wrong with it.

• comic relief May 2, 2011 at 2:35 PM #

Lurker,

I guess you’re correct. If Bella’s only adventurous act is to bed Edward, have his baby, and then retire she’s a (at best) a sexual innovator not a feminist icon. I have to agree with you women deserve a much wider range of proactive characters than the kind actress Kristin Stewart tends to play (over and over again).

In terms of diversity this may make Wonder Woman an all the more important character.

• Lurker May 2, 2011 at 5:37 PM #

The biggest problem I see, is that the hollywood will never make movies about the real life of an American adult female. It won’t sell. Even the Ray Romano show where his wife has 3 kids, SHE didn’t go to work either. The sheer fact that 50% of the workforce is female and many of those are working mothers does not get played out on TV or the movies. The only one I can come close to in recent memory was where Julia Roberts won an academy award for portraying Erin Brockovich. She won an award for portraying what most of us do in real life.

And Kate with her 8, she’s not working a full time job either. So, she is not doing the daycare shuffle, the soccer shuffle, and trying to keep her employer happy either.

• comic relief May 2, 2011 at 12:30 PM #

To-Littlebells

“How old Wonder Woman is”…LOL!!!!!!!!! Littlebells, I swear you’re going to kill me. I’m usually not nearly so giggly. I can’t be silly with you without things getting out of hand soon after. But thanks for the comment.

As for Robert and Taylor, I don’t assume they would be willing. I meant to keep the Wonder Woman character fresh they might want to circulate her by some people who young women like and can identify with. In the seventies they used to try and keep characters like Scooby Doo and the gang relevant by having them circulate with show guest stars like: Dick Van Dyke, Cass Elliot, Don Adams, Tim Conway, Davy Jones, Harlem Globetrotters, Sonny & Cher, Phyllis Diller, Don Knotts, and Jonathan Winters. This kind of thing may seem corny to our ears today, but back in the day these cross promotional team ups clearly kept people entertained. Whether this would be advisable for the long term careers of viable actors is another story.

I did not mean to imply either Robert or Taylor were “characters” or would want to show up in fictional settings. Obviously in the seventies actors may not have been as discerning. I was hoping Wonder Woman’s handlers at DC comics would start thinking outside of the box, or being so passive. Female superheroes don’t seem to get the same push that male super heroes ritually receive.

• Littlebells May 2, 2011 at 2:17 PM #

I know what you meant, but still think it would be hilarious with Edward or Jacob making an appearance!! hahaha!!! :)

I loved when they circulated characters within shows. I remember that! Scooby Doo was great that way. I loved when Sonny & Cher, Don Knotts and Tim Conway were on.

I really do hope this new WW makes a great impression and has some staying power. We do need more women super heroes!

• comic relief May 2, 2011 at 2:41 PM #

Agree.

2. 4string May 2, 2011 at 2:13 PM #

Ever since I was little I loved Wonder Woman. I remember loyally watching Superfriends every Saturday morning. :D

• 4string May 2, 2011 at 2:14 PM #

PS: I also loved the Lynda Carter WW show. :D

• Littlebells May 2, 2011 at 2:18 PM #

Every. Saturday. Morning!!!!!

• comic relief May 2, 2011 at 2:38 PM #

Ahhh, the seventies.

3. Parisienne May 2, 2011 at 4:58 PM #

Hello!

Cr, awesome article and very informative. I think that women r not given enough credit for what they go through for men and society as a whole. Imo, people feel threatened by a confident, mentally strong woman.

• Littlebells May 2, 2011 at 5:20 PM #

WEll then I guess a lot of men will be threatened by my daughter when she’s a grown woman. LOL!!!

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 7:05 PM #

LOL!

• Lurker May 2, 2011 at 5:24 PM #

Just remember that it’s not just women who are confident. This rears it’s ugly head in other parts of the world too. Women are forced to wear burqua’s and cover up because of men being IMO ‘too weak’ to handle women. So they have issues and instead ‘oppress women’ into submission.

It’s just not a ‘new concept’. We in the western world see it manifested in other ways.

• comic relief May 2, 2011 at 6:39 PM #

Thanks Paris.

4. Open Book May 3, 2011 at 6:56 PM #

Welcome, new and returning visitors to our discussion. Please join in everyone’s comments are welcomed.

5. comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:01 PM #

Hi Everyone.

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:01 PM #

Thanks of the welcome Open Book.

• Lurker May 3, 2011 at 7:02 PM #

Hi all!

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 7:03 PM #

Hi Lurker!

• ozzie20 May 3, 2011 at 7:20 PM #

Hello!

I must admit I do like the idea of an Robert/Taylor crossover. It made me chuckle!

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:25 PM #

Hi Ozzie, I never got to tell how much I liked your last article.

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:30 PM #

I tried to explain that before, to my mind they are some of the only acting men to be famous primarily because they appeal to young women.

Sure they’re have been previous teen idols, but these two have sales records to help quantify their success with the ladies.

I can’t imagine Warners, DC or Summit rejecting this idea outright.

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:49 PM #

I should not have said Summit. When their not on set Robert and Taylor should be able to do anything they want.

• ozzie20 May 3, 2011 at 7:41 PM #

Aw, thank you! This is a good article too. Very informative which helps me because I don’t know much about comics. It’s also why I’m not asking too many questions. I grew up watching thunderbirds and the like!

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM #

HI Ozzie!
                So I have a question for you.
                I’ve noticed a recent trend where people pick up the source books to read the stories before or right before movies come out.

What would make you pick up a WW comic book?

• ozzie20 May 3, 2011 at 7:57 PM #

Well first probably because of the reason you said. I like to read the source it a movie is based on it.

Secondly, now that I’m an adult, I can understand the work that goes into it and aprieciate it more. Reading a comic now would be for that reason plus the history behind it. I’d love to go to comic con just to submerge myself in that world! It’s very interesting to me. Lol, I’m wierd!

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:46 PM #

I loved the thunderbirds!!!!! Wow England has all the really cool ADULT kids programs.

I used to watch that stuff and think it was too mature for me.

• ozzie20 May 3, 2011 at 8:00 PM #

Lol! I watched all those type of puppet shows andd star trek. That’s my Mum’s doing!

Old films, history programmes and comedies were my Grandparent’s doing!

• Littlebells May 3, 2011 at 8:15 PM #

Thundercats, muppets, he-man and she-ra!!!!!!!! Those were the best.:)

• ozzie20 May 3, 2011 at 8:19 PM #

I watched those too!

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 9:00 PM #

O.k. I’ve never seen Thundercats now I will have to check it out.

6. Open Book May 3, 2011 at 7:01 PM #

Hi CR

I see there’s already some comments about your article. Would u please elaborate on Lurker’s comment:”The biggest problem I see, is that the Hollywood will never make movies about the real life of an American adult female.”

Why do u think the new WW series seem to be veering away from this issue of portraying real life adult females?

7. comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:04 PM #

This is a really complex question.

Though lots of comics fans have been annoyingly impatient, Kelley is trying to resolve this problem with the TV show. It’s anyone’s guess whether he will succeed.

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 7:07 PM #

Based on the clip you provided it looks to be more ‘modern day’ than vintage WW2.

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:09 PM #

Hi Lurker,

I would agree.

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 7:09 PM #

It seems to be a little more updated but not as much as I was expecting.

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 7:07 PM #

So we have discussed WW costume on another article. Why do u think WW costume changed from the original version by Jim Lee?

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:10 PM #

May you could pull up a link for Jim Lee’s version?

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 7:11 PM #

Was the Jim Lee version the one that looked plastic?

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 7:15 PM #

Yes! I have a full length picture.

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:33 PM #

No, that’s the new Jim lee version.

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 7:15 PM #

You know what’s funny – that article from CBR down in the bottom – they stated WW has had the same outfit for 60 years and no accessory changes! LOL

I find that comment really funny.

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 7:18 PM #

Well in the new series she will have 3 costumes now.

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:34 PM #

agreed.

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM #

Why do you think real women would demand more diversity.

Actually their have been some detailed changes just not to the over all silhouette. Maybe Open Book will expalin what that means.

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 8:13 PM #

With Jim Lee’s costume he tried to give WW some support on top with straps. But Kelley changed it to the bustier.

CR-Were fans upset with Lee’s WW version? Was it not Kelley who had problems with it?

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:17 PM #

Thank you.

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:51 PM #

thanks.

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:31 PM #

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:16 PM #

I really liked Jim Lee’s version. It influenced the TV costume development to give her long pants. Resolving any rug rash or camel toe (sorry you asked) problems.

Even better it had straps connected to the Bustier, so as you have stated you never have to worry about an appearance of “the girls”. Though I don’t want to be crude I believe waiting for this event was the most suspenseful aspects of the prior show.

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:58 PM #

I’ve been try to clean up this comment for a long while.

Open book and I have had discussions about Wonder woman’s costume.

Fan’s felt they won a great victory when they got the producers to give the character the red and white combination boots she wears in the comic. Fans seemed to believe the Costume designer had no eyeballs and could not see what was depicted in the book.

Open book claimed the old boots were the costume designer’s method for alongating the actresse’s legs.

Does anyone have nay feeling on how to manage this kind of debate in the future.

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 8:06 PM #

Oh! Right the Mrs. Santa Clause red boots. Well I think although fans may have thought it was great. I’m sure the designer was trying to keep the focus on the actors face and to elongate her. I mean WW was suppose to be tall right? Now, she will be chopped in quarters by way of her bustier and boots. That’s not a real confidence booster for the character or actor IMO!

Why? A costume should enhance an actors performance not compete or work against them.

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 8:15 PM #

Uh oh, she’s on a roll. I guess I got you started. I’m sorry I guess I encouraged that. Please forgive me.

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 8:06 PM #

Good question, and both points are valid actually.

But my personal opinion is that if you attempt to ‘tweak’ something iconic it will backfire.

Personally if you want to change it – change the whole thing – ala, Jim Lee’s costume.

Then fans can’t pick it apart, its *new*.

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 8:16 PM #

So True! I say take the plunge and see what happens. LOL!

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 8:19 PM #

Good point, but alas the show went with more of classis version then the Jim lee version you are promoting.

I wanted to see the Jim lee version.

It makes me uncomfortable thinking the actress is uncomfortable.

She isn’t overweight but in that bustier she looks like she’s going to explode.

• ozzie20 May 3, 2011 at 8:22 PM #

Hmm, I was thing the same thing. I can’t watch her run because all I think about is ouch, ouch, ouch!

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 8:26 PM #

Actually I saw a show on the other night where they were talking about dressmaking and all the ‘inner construction’ of gowns. OpenBook can help me out here. There are a number of things going on with that top that help it stay in place and the tighter around the ribs is better – and likely there are some rubber strips or tape that help it stick to the skin.

• ozzie20 May 3, 2011 at 8:36 PM #

Lol, that’s good to know there is more support that what it looks like there is!

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 8:45 PM #

Well a Bustier is the modern day version of a corset. In corsets there’s boning or regiline along the rib cage. please see link http://archerzippers.com/popup_image.php?pID=54

For around the very top sometimes there’s cording inserted that operates as a drawstring to tighten it along the top of the chest. These techniques are used for constructing a traditional corset and still used today for customizing a bustier.

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 8:48 PM #

Now it should be noted metal stays are used for traditional corsets not regiline.

• ozzie20 May 3, 2011 at 8:48 PM #

I see. Never worn a bustier myself. Just strapless bras that aren’t design to run in!

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 8:29 PM #

LOL. I’m laughing with you not at her, (assuming you are not laughing at her).

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 8:29 PM #

CR-

U must be kidding right? Seeing WW in a bustier makes u uncomfortable? Do other men share your concerns? I would think u are who this bustier was meant to target. No! Why doe’s it turn u off if u don’t mind me asking?

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 8:32 PM #

I’m embarassed.

But I did say this was probably one of the big male attractions for the original show.

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 8:49 PM #

LOL! Sorry, I’m just keeping it real!

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 7:17 PM #

So back to the question, I don’t know. The costume designers though suffered some serious fan backlash with the other mess that looked all plastic.

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 7:19 PM #

I know. Jim Lee’s version was the first one the plastic one came after and Kelly went with the plastic version.

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:21 PM #

Plastic? I’m fighting an …..LOL

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 7:23 PM #

The pictures it looks so shiny and very much like plastic like a Halloween costume. Not very good.

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:24 PM #

Yeah, a lot of people have said she looks like a two dollar hooker or blow up doll.

Obviously i think this is mean.

Since then she has been retooled with a less plactic looking pants option. The bustier or halter still looks plastic.

I guess everyone can’t help but compare her to the Linda Carter version.

Now we hear she will have a number of costumes.

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:38 PM #

Most of the time I watch and don’t know what to think.

I want to see the character, but sometimes I think the trend of fans rabid complaining can be disconcerting. These are creative people working not the local kinkos mass producing a stack of printed envelopes.

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 7:44 PM #

So in your opinion, do you think the set picture leaks and advance information helps or hurts the production?

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 8:03 PM #

Lurker,

I just don’t know.

There’s some advantage in providing advance notice but frequently fans read details more comprehensively than they should.

Many fans claimed the whole enterprise was a failure because of the blue boots.

If we returned to Open book’s statements about Green Lantern’s costume, we find our selved in a lot of the same territory.

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 8:13 PM #

Well true, there are extremist fans.

However, could we circle back to that argument from Summit about leaked pictures always have a missing ‘context’?

Because if that’s the case, then WW might be setting up for having to defend the series before it begins. At least, that’s what it sounds like to me.

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 7:46 PM #

LOL so TRUE!!!

8. comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:08 PM #

The TV show is trying to invent her as a contemporary woman. Imbue her with sexuality, a job people can identify with, and deliver some personal appetites we might see in an actual career woman.

In the comic she is a full time super heroine and diplomat who does not appear to make any money at all.

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 7:10 PM #

Do you think Kelley is going to try and draw on some of his success with Alley McBeal?

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 7:16 PM #

Good Q.

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 7:18 PM #

That was a pretty realistic job – lawyer…
          And seems to be Kelley’s forte.

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 7:24 PM #

True- It would be nice if she had some real influence. Not so much that the show turns into a soap opera. I guess that’s what I’m fearful of with WW.

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 7:28 PM #

So do we think this might use a similar spin as Alias?
              Jennifer Garner kicked some serious butt loved that show.

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 7:30 PM #

Oh! I would love that spin!

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 7:19 PM #

It would be hard to believe he would stray away from this.

An early draft of the script defines her as a corporate executive yet does not say much else.

Some how I doubt she will be a laywer, because pictures suggest she will be something of an entrepreneur.

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 7:22 PM #

Well corporate executive is not very realistic guess he hasn’t heard of ‘glass ceiling’?

Entrepreneur I could buy.

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 7:35 PM #

Really LOL!

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 9:14 PM #

A lot of comics fans hate Kelley’s plans and want her to resemble her presentation in the sometimes poorly selling comic.

I liked writer Gail Simone’s work on the book a little while ago.

9. Open Book May 3, 2011 at 7:34 PM #

CR-

So why did they opt out of doing a film and going with a TV series?

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 8:06 PM #

Good question.

I’m not sure, as I said in the article I understand they are still thinking about the movie.

10. Open Book May 3, 2011 at 7:44 PM #

Everyone-

Why do u think more women are not fighting for WW series to have a realistic spin? Do u think there are a lot more women who like to be rescued?

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 7:47 PM #

You know what would be interesting is how big a female following shows like Ally McBeal/Alia had. Because I wonder how many women could be weaned off the reality trash on TV if there were good alternatives.? I guess it’s a question I can’t answer, but today, I don’t watch much TV. Maybe I’m the oddity.

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 7:57 PM #

Well situational dramas and comedies are just that. It gives people an opportunity to see difficult social issues addressed while your living it. What reality TV does is get rid of critical thinking in favor of normalizing self-destructive behavior.

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 8:01 PM #

Sorry! I meant to say “It gives people an opportunity to see future difficult social issues addressed while your living it now.”

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 8:07 PM #

I don’t know how to interpret the second part of your your question.

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 8:18 PM #

Well if Kelley is hoping to draw a female fan base to his new series, what group is he targeting?
        Is that audience already watching reality shows or dramas like Desperate Housewives? Does he think this target segment is under-served in prime time tv?

I’m just curious what that segment is watching today? Women typically watch these reality shows….
        Would this show if it was competing with say Housewives of Orange County at that same time slot draw the same audience?

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 8:26 PM #

Really great question.

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 8:35 PM #

And I would add, that I honestly followed Alias every Sunday, that was a big deal for me to be committed to a TV show. Growing up I watched WW on TV, Charlies Angels, Bionic Woman pretty faithfully. I am not a follower of Desperate Housewives or any of the reality shows.
            If I have time, I watch NCIS or Bones.

Otherwise TV programming isn’t high on my list.
            If they can make the WW show something with an Alias spin I would watch it. If they make a soap opera, I’m not watching.

• Littlebells May 3, 2011 at 8:46 PM #

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 8:59 PM #

This proves women love female super heroes now if enough of you made Kelley and company conform, rather than the Fanboys, maybe the character would get some where.

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 9:02 PM #

Where’s the complaint box?

11. Littlebells May 3, 2011 at 7:49 PM #

Hi everyone! Great comments by everyone.

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 8:01 PM #

Hi LB!

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 8:08 PM #

Hey Littlebells.

• ozzie20 May 3, 2011 at 8:15 PM #

Hi LB!

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 8:24 PM #

Something I did not mention in the article is male super heroes like Thor, Green lantern, Captain America and the X-men are prompting their respective companies to produce new comic book bonanza’s.
        I mentioned this in the article.

She’s about to enter the media for the second major time, yet there are NO plans for new or extra Wonder Woman books.

Do you women think this is fair?

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 8:31 PM #

I think it doesn’t help promote the character long term. But I wonder what it would take for female fans to get interested in the comic books and not consider them ‘guy stuff’. Comic books sort of have that stigma to me. Growing up the boys had baseball cards and comic books, we had barbies and nancy drew.

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 8:40 PM #

Oh Lurker.

Hold the phone!

You had Archie comics, Romance comics in the sixties and seventies, Britany Spears Rob, Taylor, and Kristin comics, 3 and 4 kinds of Teen Beat, teen romance novels that Twilight was supposed to be aspiring to be.

I heard you did not have any teen girls but they do have a literature.

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 8:44 PM #

Oh that’s right! Archie! How could I forget, slipped my mind – they say the mind is the first thing to go!

My sister was a teen beat freak, not me, but I was scooby doo and Archie all the way.

• Littlebells May 3, 2011 at 8:44 PM #

Good point, Lurker. They would probably make a barbie doll. I guess it depends on how successful WW does with the female demographic and go from there to find the right venue to showcase her.

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 8:53 PM #

Under the article Google posted some articles, one features Barble like Wonder Woman Barble dolls. I believe it’s the first web site I believe it is on the first page.

I will find the link.

• Littlebells May 3, 2011 at 8:36 PM #

Why?????? That’s stupid. I think now more than ever it would be great for WW!

12. Littlebells May 3, 2011 at 8:24 PM #

In regards to WW being a movie or series: I don’t know. What I do know is I want her to be successful with fans. I want her to be someone girls and women can look up to. We all have special powers or talents and we shouldn’t be afraid to use them because someone might be intimidated. I don’t want a series to be campy and I don’t want either media outlet make her different frOm who she is. Whether a film or tv series does her justice, I will be happy

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 8:47 PM #

Well said. And I think I agree.

But she needs corporate support for that to happen. Yet I think I’ve defined DC and Warners as being lazy and uninspired.

And even Summit,(successful at housing a franchise which seems to rely of teenage girl audience) when not PRing the series to death, seemed to neglect Bella as being anything other than Edward’s squeeze or a “pet” of the Cullens.

I want to be more optimistic, and I guess this is why I wrote the article.

• Littlebells May 3, 2011 at 8:54 PM #

Well fingers crossed things go well for WW. If not hopefully some studio head will see the potential she has and do what the others couldn’t. I love WW and would love to see her gain a whole new generation of fans.

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 8:56 PM #

I agree, she needs a resurgence !

13. Open Book May 3, 2011 at 8:51 PM #

Everyone-

We have ten more minutes to the discussion. Does anyone have anymore final Q for CR?

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 8:56 PM #

Lurker your typing is so quick. If I can avoid a dyslexic moment I’m really happy.

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 8:57 PM #

Sorry!

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 9:02 PM #

Don’t be sorry. Volume and detail count for a lot it’s just that normal humans have a hard time keeping up. I hear the Wonder Woman themes song Queing up.

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 9:04 PM #

LOL That’s funny.

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 8:57 PM #

LOL! Welcome to LIH!

14. Littlebells May 3, 2011 at 9:00 PM #

Nope. Thanks for another great article, CR. I’m with Ozzie on not knowing about comics, but you have made it very interesting! :)

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 9:04 PM #

Thanks Littlebells, thanks for helping me and our audience think about his character a little bit more three dimensionally.

• ozzie20 May 3, 2011 at 9:06 PM #

No question from me either.

15. Open Book May 3, 2011 at 9:05 PM #

CR-

Thank u for another great article and discussion. Do u have any final thoughts?

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 9:08 PM #

NO. I’m concerned with the glass ceiling on mutiple comic books for the character but maybe if anyone has any thoughts about it you will post about it here in the future.

• Open Book May 3, 2011 at 9:11 PM #

Yes! Perhaps we can continue the discussion on the chat area as well as here in the future.

Well thank u again. Visitors and regular viewers until next time. Goodnight everyone!!

• lurker May 3, 2011 at 9:12 PM #

Thanks CR, goodnight everyone.

• ozzie20 May 3, 2011 at 9:18 PM #

Night all!

• comic relief May 3, 2011 at 9:18 PM #

Thanks again for the opportunity.

16. Littlebells May 3, 2011 at 9:27 PM #

Why didn’t anyone of us of post this sooner?!! :)

Pretty much ends at 0:50 (Lyle Waggoner–hubba hubba!)

• comic relief May 4, 2011 at 9:36 AM #

Better late than never.

17. Parisienne May 4, 2011 at 8:10 PM #

Hi!

CR, What do you think of the Superman comic denouncing Superman’s U.S. citizenship? Do you think it will hurt the film that is coming out?

• Littlebells May 4, 2011 at 9:17 PM #

HUH???? Say what????

• Parisienne May 4, 2011 at 11:18 PM #

Yeah it was on the news HLN today. People are all up in arms about it. I just scream at my t.v. “SM is not real. He does not actually exist. Its time to move on people.”

• Littlebells May 4, 2011 at 11:54 PM #

*massive eye roll* Good grief!

• comic relief May 5, 2011 at 12:33 AM #

Paris,

Can’t say I really care. Seems like a corny PR stunt. They do this with him every now and then since he’s super hero number one for some reason it’s some sort of marker for the culture. He got married to Lois Lane, died once, and radically changed his costume, etc. It usually causes big headlines, and more often than not he reverts back to the pre-controversy Supes afterward. Please wake me when it’s over.

I’d really be excited if they found innovative ways to sell Wonder Woman beyond MAC make-up. DC/Warners acts like it’s doing her a favor supporting her book, IMO.

• Littlebells May 5, 2011 at 10:00 AM #

CR–I was NOT a fan of Routh’s story line. And his costume ticked me off–only enough to go “Are you serious?!” Most people that grew up with Superman (particularly Christopher Reeve’s SM) don’t need PR to get interested in the character. Just bring us what we know and love!

As for WW, I love the Rosie the Riveter poster. Why can’t we make WW just as powerful an emblem?

• comic relief May 5, 2011 at 5:51 PM #

LB,

I’m with you on all counts. But I’m wondering whether DC/Warners has heard what we did the night of the discussion.

• Littlebells May 6, 2011 at 12:16 PM #

Let’s write a letter!!!!! :)

• comic relief May 6, 2011 at 10:35 PM #

Really great idea. We should brainstorm a direction and shoot from there. Next we should figure out when want to do this.

18. Littlebells May 6, 2011 at 10:44 PM #

I’m totally up for it. Ummm….I’m going to have to re-re-re-read everyone’s post to get an idea about what some of our main concerns are. I guess we can make a list of our concerns and pick a direction from there?????? Wait are we talking about WW or SM or both!! haha! I think I just totally confused myself. :)

• comic relief May 6, 2011 at 11:30 PM #

I thought we we talking about WW. I think SM is fine. As we predicted DC/Warners has already retracted the Superman abdicating his American censorship theme.

I think she needs our help.

• Littlebells May 7, 2011 at 12:39 AM #

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I’m in! :)

19. Csizmadia May 8, 2011 at 5:53 PM #

Great review! This is truly the type of information that should be shared around the internet. Sad on the Google for not ranking this article higher!

20. Littlebells May 13, 2011 at 10:19 PM #

Well, well, well…..what do you think of that????

Hi Csizmadia!

21. Littlebells May 13, 2011 at 10:20 PM #

Oh and CR, I will send my thoughts on the letter to OB this weekend? Do you think our letter might be coming at the right time????

22. comic relief May 14, 2011 at 8:46 AM #

LB,

Given the events of the last week I agree with you, timing is a big issue. Right now I think it would be best to pool our ideas on the subject and then go forward. So if you need time to collect your thoughts. I believe your effort will be essential to the overall goal.

• Littlebells May 14, 2011 at 3:58 PM #

Great! I will write and send OB my thoughts tomorrow!!! I have to say I was really happy when I saw the report on WW. I actually thought, “She stands a chance!” haha!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 103 other followers